Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List 5 15
Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List
04-17-2014, 04:15 PM
RE: Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List
I have used tea tree oil shampoo and love it. Leaves my hair feeling clean and soft.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2014, 08:49 PM
What's a good hair product with natural looking shine? Kind of something between pomade and matte wax. Similar to what Gareth Bale had when he had a side part.
05-17-2014, 05:07 AM
Awesome list of products!
05-20-2014, 01:54 PM
(04-26-2014 08:49 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  What's a good hair product with natural looking shine? Kind of something between pomade and matte wax. Similar to what Gareth Bale had when he had a side part.

Yes, there are. A styling cream would give you the shine of a pomade with the malleable properties of wax. You can certainly try this styling cream that we recommend in the list of best hair products (Page 1), although this styling cream is for a more natural look (with some slick) that leaves the locks tame-free, moisturized and with shape and definition (so it's perfect for curly haired men). For something that gives more controlled sheen and a slicker look, read the next styling cream below.

Another styling cream that works really well for what you want and especially for straight hair (which is the hair type of Gareth Bale), is this styling cream. It gives a slick finished style without the hyper shine of the regular pomades or "forced" shine of some of the newer water based pomades. It's a pretty good styling cream and a little will get you far, so the product will last you a good while. Oh and it is pretty good for curly hair too, only that the previous one has a stronger moisturizing effect (and if you curly men have read The Curly Hair Book, you will know how useful that is!)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-30-2014, 07:56 AM
Out of the conditioners I've tried which is not many and firmly within the budget category, Frieda Frizz Ease Dream Curls is really good at least for curly hair.

Has anyone here experienced hair loss with the Wen almond and mint conditioner? I've been reading a few reviews online stating this issue.

I'm also looking into the Devacurl One conditioner, it seems to have excellent reviews on both Amazon UK and Amazon USA. Anyone tried this here? Btw, I have type II/Type III curly hair.
05-30-2014, 07:58 AM
I also suffer from dandruff and I find Head & Shoulders excellent for this. I only use it once a week but I have no problems with dandruff after using it, though I have read that it might not be the best shampoo for having healthy hair.
05-30-2014, 02:16 PM
(05-30-2014 07:56 AM)tomps Wrote:  Out of the conditioners I've tried which is not many and firmly within the budget category, Frieda Frizz Ease Dream Curls is really good at least for curly hair.

Has anyone here experienced hair loss with the Wen almond and mint conditioner? I've been reading a few reviews online stating this issue.

I'm also looking into the Devacurl One conditioner, it seems to have excellent reviews on both Amazon UK and Amazon USA. Anyone tried this here? Btw, I have type II/Type III curly hair.

No conditioner will make your hair fall, whoever is saying that is either confusing actual organic hair loss with the use of the conditioner or is intentionally writing negative reviews of the product (i.e. a competitor), which is known to happen a lot in Amazon. Always remain skeptic of reviews claiming drastic negative effects of a product that don't make sense (as is when someone is saying a conditioner is causing his/her hair loss).

(05-30-2014 07:58 AM)tomps Wrote:  I also suffer from dandruff and I find Head & Shoulders excellent for this. I only use it once a week but I have no problems with dandruff after using it, though I have read that it might not be the best shampoo for having healthy hair.

Head & Shoulders is an OK shampoo for mild dandruff, which is what most men experience. However, if you get a heavy cycle of dandruff (e.g. during winter), then you can use a more potent shampoo like this ketoconazole shampoo (if in the UK you can find it HERE).

Head & Shoulders is fine for regular use although ideally you would want to use in an alternating fashion with any of the other types of shampoos in this link covering men's shampoos that are for long term use according to the condition of the hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-31-2014, 06:41 AM
Thanks, that's some useful information. I'm going to get the Wen conditioner then. I only shampoo once a week so I'm thinking I might alternate Head & Shoulders with Wen. Since Wen is a cleanser and conditioner I'm guessing I can use it as a shampoo substitute?
06-01-2014, 05:15 AM
(05-31-2014 06:41 AM)tomps Wrote:  Thanks, that's some useful information. I'm going to get the Wen conditioner then. I only shampoo once a week so I'm thinking I might alternate Head & Shoulders with Wen. Since Wen is a cleanser and conditioner I'm guessing I can use it as a shampoo substitute?

Yes, that will be fine Smile

06-18-2014, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 02:58 AM by tomps.)
So I tried the Wen conditioner and the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo. I don't think the Wen works well with my Type 2/Type 3 hair but the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo was good, it cleaned my hair well and I have been dandruff free! My hair is 6 to 7 inches long and the Wen left the ends of my hair scrunched up so my hair was sticking out at the side of my head the week I used it. I also tried Devacurl One conditioner. This product is really good! The ends of my hair fell towards my chin/ear area naturally without sticking out and my curls were well defined.

However both Wen and DevaOne conditioners results in a greater amount of hair falling off when I was washing my hair compared to my previous conditioner John Frieda Frizz Ease Dream Curls. I normally count roughly how many hairs fall off after each wash and with the John Frieda it's normally around 45 hairs. With the Wen this increased to 75 and close to 90 with the DevaOne. Maybe it's because these conditioners are heavier?

Anyway, I've only used the Wen and DevaOne conditioners once each and the Paul Mitchell shampoo twice so these are just some first impressions. Do you guys think it's worth trying out the Wen conditioner for a longer period i.e. 4 or 5 weeks? Is that likely to make a difference?
06-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Great list!
I wonder why there is no thickening spray/creme for thin/fine hair mentioned? For example redken 06 Or bumble and bumble thickening spray.Do You believe the Paul mitchell shampoo is better/enough for volume?
07-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Just wondering, what are the benefits of a good comb? What can it do that a cheap $1 comb cannot? I have already purchased and been using one of the handmade combs as suggested on this forum, but honestly don't know what's good about it. I really just like it because it looks nice and "handmade" sounds really cool lol.
07-24-2014, 12:01 PM
I'd like to know as well. I haven't bought any special comb, but is there anything special about these combs? Also I'm currently going for the Justin Timberlake part/slick back cut, which is the best kind of comb for this with thicker Asian hair?
07-26-2014, 10:11 PM
(07-24-2014 12:01 PM)HeyYoWL Wrote:  I'd like to know as well. I haven't bought any special comb, but is there anything special about these combs? Also I'm currently going for the Justin Timberlake part/slick back cut, which is the best kind of comb for this with thicker Asian hair?

After using mine for about a month, I think the benefit is the durability of the comb. Comparing my Kent handmade comb to a cheap comb I have, it just feels stronger. The material feels thicker and it seems the comb would last a lot longer than the cheap one. Also seems like and residue left on the comb from product is washed off much easier.
08-02-2014, 11:50 PM
I hear many people recommending american crew pomade for slicked back hair,but when I bought it and tried it i was rather dissapointed because the hold is very low. It doesnt hold and they eventually 'dropped' down after awhile. Does anyone has this problem? Or which product should i cocktail with?
08-03-2014, 05:48 AM
Layrite pomade
(08-02-2014 11:50 PM)ohmyholy Wrote:  I hear many people recommending american crew pomade for slicked back hair,but when I bought it and tried it i was rather disappointing because the hold is very low. It doesn't hold and they eventually 'dropped' down after awhile. Does anyone has this problem? Or which product should i cocktail with?

Get THIS Layrite pomade for a stronger hold with plenty of slick. It's water based too, so it is easier to clean (just saw you commented on the review thread for that pomade too).

08-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Ah! Thank you very much TMHF! Smile
08-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Hey guys, a few days ago I got a haircut for my wavy hair, went from long to medium length. I want to wear it like Bradley Cooper does on the movie Limitless (can't post a link, but it's a modern slick back). Problem is though, my hair always falls back in a natural middle part and stays quite wavy to the sides (not all tangled up, but more of a uniform wave) once it dries up.

I've been using American Crew Fiber and Pomade to try and replicate the look, but it seems I might be using the wrong product. Am I? Do these products not provide the hold I am looking for?

My routine is usually to shower before going to bed, but I recently started washing my hair in the morning instead. I rinse luke-warm and finish with a cold rinse, only use shampoo every 2-3 days (works best for me), use the sebum-coating method, apply conditioner every day.
08-05-2014, 06:48 AM
Hey, I was just wondering what you guys think of this hair dryer: BaByliss 5560JU 2100 Elegance. It has ionic conditioning and also ceramic technology, which from what I've read dries your hair without minimal/no damage. I also heard from a friend who is a hair stylist that babyliss is one of the best companies to buy products from. Any tips that would be appreciated. I've already bought a tresemme heat protection spray.
08-25-2014, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2014 09:05 AM by MadMike.)
Hi folk ,I have very hard and thick wavy hair (maybe type II) ,also it's totally a mess and very hard to style.I have tried to smooth it out a bit but I couldn't find any listed moister shampoo or conditioner in my country,so I try any moister shampoo and conditioner I can find in the supermarket.

So far I already tried headnshoulder,double rich,l'oreal,syoss,pantene but none have any noticeable effect for my hair (pantene may smooth it a bit but it's for the women and I don't really like the smell).It's will be awesome if I could have some advice from all of you.

P/s : all of my shampoo have sulfate,I know it's bad for my hair but I just can't find 1 without it,so I wash my hair every other day and use conditioner everyday.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mens Hairstyles and Hair Products – Official Product Guide on How to Use and Combine TheMensHairForum 3 27,674 03-23-2017 12:22 PM
Last Post: Hockeyflow42
  Hair products for messy hairstyles Anton 12 54,233 03-11-2017 10:05 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Best hair products for slicked back hairstyle Lordius 14 260,313 11-05-2015 11:26 AM
Last Post: ad4mkoala
  Top hair straighteners for men - List of Ionic flat irons Sunset 3 4,683 03-28-2015 12:55 PM
Last Post: Curly Dude