Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List 5 15
Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List
01-06-2014, 12:13 PM
RE: Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List
(01-03-2014 01:52 PM)Javon Wrote:  Haha, thanks for the reply -- very helpful. Bad is a terrible word -- by bad, I mean that it takes away from the overall results of the curls? I honestly don't know, I just read that curly-haired folks should stay away from shampoos and conditioners containing silicone and/or sulfate. As of now, I've been cowashing, because of what I heard about sulfate and the results are stunning. I have conditioner in my head as we speak and I'm going to rinse with cold water (45 minutes). What are your thoughts on co-washing? Also, say that we run out of leave-in conditioner -- could we use regular conditioner to substitute for the leave-in? Thanks!

Edit: I really want to buy this book now, but I need some money lol (college student).

Yep you can use regular conditioner as a leave in conditioner just water it down Smile for example use an amount that is 1/3 of what you would use for a leave in conditioner then spread the conditioner even across your fingers and style your curls with it. Really leave in conditioner = watered regular conditioner
PLay with the amounts but 1/3 is a good starting point depending on the leave in conditioner you used and the conditioner you are now using you may have to use even a lower amount, 1/5 perhaps. I use this trick when I run out of leave-in and it works great especially if your regular conditioner is a good one!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2014, 11:03 PM
My hair is naturally curly that of a black person. But I have relaxed my hair now. It is quite thick. I was wondering what type of product would be the best to style my hair. I wouldn't want anything that is hard to wash out of my hair. Thank you for reading.
01-10-2014, 12:10 PM
(01-09-2014 11:03 PM)CanYouHairMe? Wrote:  My hair is naturally curly that of a black person. But I have relaxed my hair now. It is quite thick. I was wondering what type of product would be the best to style my hair. I wouldn't want anything that is hard to wash out of my hair. Thank you for reading.

Yes you want a styling product that is easy to wash off because when the hair is relaxed it is more brittle so don't comb it too much or wash it too hard!
I recommend a hair wax for shaping your hair into hairstyles such as messy hair styles and a hair pomade for more formal and combing hairstyles. The wax and pomade that would be perfect for your case would be this hair wax and this hair pomade.

Also make sure you are using a hair conditioner cause like I said your hair is brittle and easy to damage when it is relaxed. Only use your fingers for styling or comb the hair very smoothly. If you dont have a good hair conditioner yet then get this one hair conditioner and use it 3 to 5 times per week Smile
01-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Thank you very much. The Red Ken looks just like what I was looking for. I will be sure to check it out. Hopefully I can find it without much trouble in the UK.
01-12-2014, 07:26 AM
(01-11-2014 07:21 PM)CanYouHairMe? Wrote:  Thank you very much. The Red Ken looks just like what I was looking for. I will be sure to check it out. Hopefully I can find it without much trouble in the UK.

There you go buddy: Redken Water Wax. Straight from Amazon UK and the cost is way cheaper than you'll find in retail stores Smile We also associate with Amazon UK and one of our UK community staff (Barber) knows all about the UK men's hair products. Try the Redken pomade from Amazon UK in the link above and, if you want to get more products from Amazon, let us know. Usually you can find US products being sold in Amazon UK too (and dispatched from the UK too!).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-31-2014, 02:15 AM
Good list. Thanks
02-12-2014, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 07:57 AM by B Lad.)
Any other hairspray recommendations?
I'm looking for a hairspray to keep my Beckham (undercut) look in "shape" all day, so I think that it has to be a hairspray which becomes quite hard.
The hairspray you suggest is quite expensive.
Atm I'm using Syoss hairspray (costs about 5 euros). Which isn't that bad, but I guess there are better alternatives around.
There's always so much choice and that's why I have no idea which hairspray to pick.
02-12-2014, 10:21 AM
(02-12-2014 07:56 AM)B Lad Wrote:  Any other hairspray recommendations?
I'm looking for a hairspray to keep my Beckham (undercut) look in "shape" all day, so I think that it has to be a hairspray which becomes quite hard.
The hairspray you suggest is quite expensive.
Atm I'm using Syoss hairspray (costs about 5 euros). Which isn't that bad, but I guess there are better alternatives around.
There's always so much choice and that's why I have no idea which hairspray to pick.

The issue with hair sprays is that you get what you pay for. The TIGI hair spray we recommend gives a good hold but with sufficient elasticity and suppleness of the hair so that your hair doesn't become like cardboard, which is what the cheaper sprays will do to your hair. This effect is fine for very crafted big hairstyles but not so good for medium length men's styles, so the hair spray we recommend is great for the kind of styles that men can wear, including the slicked back.

Bear in mind hair sprays all fall in the rage of $4 to $16. Another good you can use is this one from Tresemme which gives maximum hold but doesn't have that elasticity factor that the TIGI hair spray we recommend has. Still an affordable hair spray that will hold your hair throughout the day although it is meant more for long women's hairstyles. Since you mention euros, then you can also check out the Tresemme hair spray at the UK Amazon store which will deliver it from the UK.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Some of the reviews on Amazon are saying that some of these products are fakes. How do you know if it's the authentic product or a fake one?
02-13-2014, 10:44 AM
(02-13-2014 10:34 AM)GoodHair Wrote:  Some of the reviews on Amazon are saying that some of these products are fakes. How do you know if it's the authentic product or a fake one?

Amazon actually has an issue with competitors trashing each other with fake reviews. Competitor A goes to Competitor B and posts a negative review or pays someone to leave a negative review; it's a very common scenario. Usually, if a vendor has a track record of selling (i.e. they are selling on Amazon) it is a good hint that their products are real as Amazon is very strict with their selling policies.

In any case what do you mean by fake? That the product is a copy of the real product or that the advertised product is not the one being dispatched? Amazon is very strict with vendors and they also have a very good refund policy, so chances of a vendor offering any form of fake products are minimal and would get the vendor is serious trouble, get them closed and customer refunded.

Send me a PM where you have seen these fake accusations and I will have a look to see if those reviews are real or fake.

P.S. I have upgraded your account so you can send private messages (PMs).

P.S.S: this list (in Page 1) is a list that we have compiled over a long time from members' feedback, talks with the vendors/distributors and professional experience, and the goal of this list is to provide you all a reference of Amazon vendors with a good selling track who are selling products at great prices and with great feedback.

We go through and review this list often in order to keep it as much updated as possible, but, if you or anybody else find that any of the listed products are no longer being sold or that a seller is getting bad reviews, then please let us know so that we can investigate this further.

Thanks

02-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks, I just sent you a PM.
02-13-2014, 01:03 PM
(02-13-2014 10:44 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(02-13-2014 10:34 AM)GoodHair Wrote:  Some of the reviews on Amazon are saying that some of these products are fakes. How do you know if it's the authentic product or a fake one?

Amazon actually has an issue with competitors trashing each other with fake reviews. Competitor A goes to Competitor B and posts a negative review or pays someone to leave a negative review; it's a very common scenario. Usually, if a vendor has a track record of selling (i.e. they are selling on Amazon) it is a good hint that their products are real as Amazon is very strict with their selling policies.

In any case what do you mean by fake? That the product is a copy of the real product or that the advertised product is not the one being dispatched? Amazon is very strict with vendors and they also have a very good refund policy, so chances of a vendor offering any form of fake products are minimal and would get the vendor is serious trouble, get them closed and customer refunded.

Send me a PM where you have seen these fake accusations and I will have a look to see if those reviews are real or fake.

P.S. I have upgraded your account so you can send private messages (PMs).

P.S.S: this list (in Page 1) is a list that we have compiled over a long time from members' feedback, talks with the vendors/distributors and professional experience, and the goal of this list is to provide you all a reference of Amazon vendors with a good selling track who are selling products at great prices and with great feedback.

We go through and review this list often in order to keep it as much updated as possible, but, if you or anybody else find that any of the listed products are no longer being sold or that a seller is getting bad reviews, then please let us know so that we can investigate this further.

Thanks

I just investigated the product that GoodHair was mentioning that was having some bad reviews, and it turns out that it was quite likely a change in formulation in the product which had some customers complaining and saying that the texture of the product differed, going as far as to call the product fake or watered down (99.99% impossible as that's ilegal and Amazon doesn't allow anything like that, plus the actual vendor is a really good one. What quite likely happened was that the product's formula was changed and one of the ingredients removed, and that ingredient provided the thickness to the product.

For anyone wondering which product we're talking about, it's the American Crew moisturizing shampoo. It's still a good product and the vendor has an excellent customer record, but it looks like some customers were getting the re-formulated shampoo version when they were expecting the old version (the new version still works just as good).

Since GoodHair mentioned in his PM if I knew of other good moisturizing shampoos, I decided to post the recommendations in this thread too so the rest of you can have more options to consider if looking for a moisturizing shampoo (click each link to see them):

Bear in mind the quantity of each product which is why the prices differ, but, when the quantities are equaled, the prices are pretty competitive and decent for a shampoo.

02-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Has anyone heard of or tried the By Vilain line? So far I have only read very positive things about it and I'm tempted to try it out.
02-19-2014, 02:21 PM
(02-18-2014 10:10 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Has anyone heard of or tried the By Vilain line? So far I have only read very positive things about it and I'm tempted to try it out.

I have actually heard from a couple barbers who cut my hair that the By Vilain hair products are horrible, as in overpriced rats. Havent tried them personally but I usually go with what they say as they are the kind of barbers who you can trust and even give you life tips lol but yeah I wont be getting near that when theres plenty of good hair products as the forum guys have listed in this thread.
02-20-2014, 09:26 AM
(02-19-2014 02:21 PM)Stevens Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 10:10 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Has anyone heard of or tried the By Vilain line? So far I have only read very positive things about it and I'm tempted to try it out.

I have actually heard from a couple barbers who cut my hair that the By Vilain hair products are horrible, as in overpriced rats. Havent tried them personally but I usually go with what they say as they are the kind of barbers who you can trust and even give you life tips lol but yeah I wont be getting near that when theres plenty of good hair products as the forum guys have listed in this thread.

That's interesting because that's actually the first negative thing I've heard about them, otherwise I've read many positive reviews. Did they actually try it and say what was bad about it?
02-24-2014, 03:09 PM
(02-20-2014 09:26 AM)GoodHair Wrote:  
(02-19-2014 02:21 PM)Stevens Wrote:  

That's interesting because that's actually the first negative thing I've heard about them, otherwise I've read many positive reviews. Did they actually try it and say what was bad about it?

My personal opinion is that de Vilain hair products are awful. And it isnt just me mate.

I tried their hair wax a couple days as one of the guys who works with me got it and did not like it a bit so he just gave the wax away for free to me. Stuff would leave my hair hard as in not good hard [think extra hard gel] and greasy just plain wrong mate. Awful product and i tried it for a few days as i am into trying all kinds of hair products due to my job.
The de Vilain hair wax is even worse than the American Crew wax which takes effort to get it worse and from what i have seen de Vilain wax is also even more expensive lol

Also had a quick look around what they got and all they have is overpriced products. They even tell you to also buy their "pre styling" product and use before styling your hair with the actual styling product you bought? ROTFL !!! seriously?? the minute someone mentions that in their sale page the same minute you should be running away at least if you care about your monies and dont wanna be taken for a fool. Just that itself gives me a bad vibe and looks more like money begging and peddling than any thing else tbh mate. Fyi you should not be adding any other stuff to your hair before styling with the product other than regular water from the tap. No need whatsoever for anything else. Unless the product itself is rubbish and needs the extra ingredient lacking that is not in the styling product you wasted your money with. And still i would not see any need.

This the first time their products been mentioned in these forums if you do a search and knowing the quality of the content round here i rather go with what actually works good and go with what these gents do recommend in the first page of this thread. Tigi for wax. Suavecito for pomade.. they also recommend in another thread Layrite and also Black and white for oil pomade! Short sexy for hair gel. Now those recommend hair product brands are some quality ones that are worth your monies. I can also think of a couple other good or decent hairstyling products brands say for waxes/gels/pomades/creams but de Vilain is certainly not any of them mate.
03-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Great stuff. Thanks to all for share.
04-02-2014, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 03:22 PM by GoodHair.)
Was the TIGI Bed Head wax ever reformulated? I recently ran out and bought another one and it seems to have a few small differences. It seems a lot softer, it's more malleable, and has a different smell. It is also easier to get off your hands. I can't tell any difference in hold or the finish.
04-02-2014, 03:53 PM
(04-02-2014 03:21 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Was the TIGI Bed Head wax ever reformulated? I recently ran out and bought another one and it seems to have a few small differences. It seems a lot softer, it's more malleable, and has a different smell. It is also easier to get off your hands. I can't tell any difference in hold or the finish.

Where are you getting yours and from what country?
I get the Tigi wax one recommended in the first page of this thread from Amazon and have not found a difference but i am not a long time user since i am just getting into this game tho i got this same one ordered 3 times already from the same link and Amazon page. Found no difference and fyi same goes for the Gatsby wax i have ordered more times.

I have heard some products can feel a fit different because of product shipping or factory in one country uses one or two different ingredients without making a full reformulation cause of just one fragrance ingredient for example. Cant comment on the TIGI wax but i know some guys get small texture differences like you noticed but with pomades especially.
04-02-2014, 09:34 PM
(04-02-2014 03:53 PM)Machado Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 03:21 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Was the TIGI Bed Head wax ever reformulated? I recently ran out and bought another one and it seems to have a few small differences. It seems a lot softer, it's more malleable, and has a different smell. It is also easier to get off your hands. I can't tell any difference in hold or the finish.

Where are you getting yours and from what country?
I get the Tigi wax one recommended in the first page of this thread from Amazon and have not found a difference but i am not a long time user since i am just getting into this game tho i got this same one ordered 3 times already from the same link and Amazon page. Found no difference and fyi same goes for the Gatsby wax i have ordered more times.

I have heard some products can feel a fit different because of product shipping or factory in one country uses one or two different ingredients without making a full reformulation cause of just one fragrance ingredient for example. Cant comment on the TIGI wax but i know some guys get small texture differences like you noticed but with pomades especially.

I got them both from the same place, which was in a local supermarket. The product so far works the same, it's just easier to work with. Maybe I got an old/low quality one before?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mens Hairstyles and Hair Products – Official Product Guide on How to Use and Combine TheMensHairForum 3 27,674 03-23-2017 12:22 PM
Last Post: Hockeyflow42
  Hair products for messy hairstyles Anton 12 54,232 03-11-2017 10:05 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Best hair products for slicked back hairstyle Lordius 14 260,313 11-05-2015 11:26 AM
Last Post: ad4mkoala
  Top hair straighteners for men - List of Ionic flat irons Sunset 3 4,683 03-28-2015 12:55 PM
Last Post: Curly Dude