Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best Hair Gel For Men: Reviews, Forum Recommendations, Advice, Tips and More
06-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Thumbs Up Best Hair Gel For Men: Reviews, Forum Recommendations, Advice, Tips and More
It's time for our forum to have a dedicated resource on the best hair gels for men. Here we will provide our recommended hair gels, types of hair gel, which brands of gel to buy and also stuff like fragrance used where possible. Remember this is an interactive discussion so you are welcome to participate.

About hair gel for men
Hair gel is a mens hair product used for styling, shaping, moulding or combing hair. Gel is the most versatile hair product for men. Here in the forum we actually recommend that you always have at home at least one type of gel.

Our goal in this thread is to offer you, for each hair type or shape, the best hair gel for men. This way you can have different gels to use for different occasions as the hold and shine will certainly vary according to the product. So here is our list of recommended gels.

Short Sexy Hair Gel
Short Sexy Hair gels are unlike any other brands. Add shine and a healthier look to your hair with this hair gel as it works with all male hair types. Cheap brand hair gels leaves your hair flaky but you have don’t have to worry about that problem with this product. It’s filled in a pump bottle for easier application. The price may be a bit higher than the competitors but it is worth paying for a premium hair gel like this one.

The Short Sexy Hair gel is a versatile gel that can be used for pretty much any hairstyle where you want your hair to be in a fixed position due to its strong hold.
  • Hold: Very strong
  • Shine: High
  • Fragrance: Mild, like fragrance
Where to buy the Short Sexy Hair Gel: click to THIS VENDOR (used successfully by forum members)

[Image: e7WoxAv.jpg]

Bed Head Hard Head Mohawk Gel
Your hair can defy gravity with Bed Head Hard Head Mohawk Gel. You can make any hair style with this hair gel such as mohawks, liberty spikes and regular spikes. The hold is very strong and will leave your hair with a natural shine. You don’t have to worry about your hair flaking, crusting, or being too oily. Your hair style will be looking slick with a scent of cologne.
  • Hold: Very strong
  • Fragrance: Like cologne
Where to buy the Bed Head Hard Head Mohawk Gel: click to THIS VENDOR (used successfully by forum members)

[Image: ZOjWq2c.jpg]

KMS California Hair Stay Styling Gel
This gel is the one to buy for a wet look effect. You simply apply the KMS hair gel to your hair when wet and then let the hair air dry or dry with a hair dryer, which will then have your hair drying while still "looking" like wet. This KMS California gel is easy to clean due to its water soluble formula and it also does not cause flaking as it tends to happen with the older gel products.

The KMS California Hair Stay Styling Gel goes great for curly hair too as it helps with keeping the curls moisturized. Lastly this KMS gel contains cranberry and pepper extracts to help protect the hair from the environment.
  • Hold: Strong
  • Shine: Low
  • Fragrance: Fruity
Where to buy the KMS California Hair Stay Styling Gel: click to THIS VENDOR (used successfully by forum members)

[Image: 21tv1F8H-vL.jpg]

Biosilk Glazing Gel Light Hold for Unisex
This hair gel has a light hold so it is of great for casual styling with medium length hair. Even more, this Biosilk light hold gel is a great mens hairstyle product for long hair and you should definitively be getting this one if you have medium length to long length wavy hair to curly hair from the whole spectrum. The Biosilk Glazing Gel Light Hold for Unisex gel will give more body to your hair and shine so it's also a great casual hairstyling gel for men with thin hair!
  • Hold: Low
  • Fragrance: Neutral
Where to buy the Biosilk Glazing Gel Light Hold for Unisex: click to THIS VENDOR (used successfully by forum members)

[Image: GgrEglV.jpg]

Bed Head Men Power Play Gel
Bed Head Men Power Play Gel is alcohol free resulting in a strong hold with no flaking. It has conditioning formula and antioxidants which will keep your hair protected while giving your hair a solid hold and a healthy shine. Not many hair gels comes with this kind of conditioning formula. In the end, this hair gel will leave your hair smelling great.
  • Hold: Strong
  • Shine: Medium
Where to buy the Bed Head Men Power Play Gel: click to THIS VENDOR (used successfully by forum members)

[Image: 3q9eFPj.jpg]

American Crew Styling Gel Medium Strong Hold
This hair gel provides a medium to strong hold that has a medium shine and a nice smell so this American Crew hair gel goes great for casual hairstyles and mens hairstyles where you don't need the hair to be totally up (another hairstyle for men to use the American Crew gel with is in a messy hairstyle, browse the forum to see all the ranges of messy styles we have covered!).

It could be said that the American Crew Styling Gel is a classic gel that will do what a hair gel is supposed to do and will not let you down when required. It also comes in a big bottle that will last you a couple of months as you only need to use the amount equivalent to 3 to 4 fingertips for styling your short to medium length hairstyles!
  • Hold: Medium to Strong
  • Shine: Medium
Where to buy the American Crew Styling Gel Medium Strong Hold: click to THIS VENDOR (used successfully by forum members)

[Image: QNgGHkI.jpg]

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Great review of men's hair styling gels!
Barber, sorry I must have somehow missed this excellent mens hair gel guide that you published! Smile

I hadn't seen you for a while so I thought you'd be publishing this guide in the near future instead. I could not agree any more with this guide and I think the product recommendations are superb, as per your usual recommendations! Cool

Would you be up for suggesting the "UK equivalent" hair gels recommended for those who read this guide and who are based in the UK? You are the boss when it comes to UK mens hair products, but I can also look up the equivalents if you're too busy, my barber dude! Feel free to PM instead.

P.S. The hair gel products already recommended in this guide can be purchased by those of you in the UK too, and the products that Barber has recommended from the linked vendors are really cheap, even when factoring in any shipping fees.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-20-2014, 09:46 AM
RE: Best Hair Gel For Men: Reviews, Forum Recommendations, Advice, Tips and More
Those are some really good recommendations. I would like to add an interesting type of styling gel: organic hair gel.

Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Hair Gel

Made entirely of 100% natural ingredients, Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Hair Gel provides strong hold which allows for all day wear - without the sticky or crunchy feel of other styling products. Created with a blend of aloe and sunflower seed oils, the hair gel restores natural shine and luster without the use or harsh chemicals.

Jason's All Natural Hi-Shine Styling Gel

A leader in all natural, pure, and organic hair care products for men and women with all hair types, Jason's All Natural Hi-Shine Styling Gel helps shape short cuts and provide impressive hold. Fortified with a blend of flax seen protein and flower extracts, the hair gel creates amazing shine while naturally protecting hair from damage caused by exposure to UV rays.

Aubrey Organics Men's Stock Ginseng Biotin Hair Gel

Created of a blend of all natural ingredients, the Aubrey Organics Men's Stock Ginseng Biotin Hair Gel contains only the finest all natural, organic, vegan-friendly ingredients. The blend of almond protein and herbal gums conditions hair while providing firm, lasting hold. Free of plastics and silicones found in most hair styling products, the gel creates fullness and shine without an unwanted build up.

These three are some great organic hair gels for men. They work just as a regular hair gel but use natural ingredients instead of the many chemicals used in regular hair gels. What's even equally interesting is that these organic styling gels do not produce much buildup or residue so they are easier to clean from the hair too.
11-05-2014, 12:52 PM
RE: Best Hair Gel For Men: Reviews, Forum Recommendations, Advice, Tips and More
Thank you for this hair gel guide. It is good because it is from a barber so I read it carefully. My hairdresser is not good and he always says to buy a super expensive hair gel from his salon. I use this gel and it makes my hair very hard and ugly. When my girlfriend touches my hair she says it is disgusting Big Grin

Ok so I read this guide... between all the hair gels in the list is the KMS gel the best hair gel for curly hair? I ask for coiled hair.
Thank you!
04-06-2015, 10:42 AM
(10-20-2014 09:46 AM)Sunset Wrote:  Those are some really good recommendations. I would like to add an interesting type of styling gel: organic hair gel.

Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Hair Gel

Made entirely of 100% natural ingredients, Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Hair Gel provides strong hold which allows for all day wear - without the sticky or crunchy feel of other styling products. Created with a blend of aloe and sunflower seed oils, the hair gel restores natural shine and luster without the use or harsh chemicals.

Jason's All Natural Hi-Shine Styling Gel

A leader in all natural, pure, and organic hair care products for men and women with all hair types, Jason's All Natural Hi-Shine Styling Gel helps shape short cuts and provide impressive hold. Fortified with a blend of flax seen protein and flower extracts, the hair gel creates amazing shine while naturally protecting hair from damage caused by exposure to UV rays.

Aubrey Organics Men's Stock Ginseng Biotin Hair Gel

Created of a blend of all natural ingredients, the Aubrey Organics Men's Stock Ginseng Biotin Hair Gel contains only the finest all natural, organic, vegan-friendly ingredients. The blend of almond protein and herbal gums conditions hair while providing firm, lasting hold. Free of plastics and silicones found in most hair styling products, the gel creates fullness and shine without an unwanted build up.

These three are some great organic hair gels for men. They work just as a regular hair gel but use natural ingredients instead of the many chemicals used in regular hair gels. What's even equally interesting is that these organic styling gels do not produce much buildup or residue so they are easier to clean from the hair too.

Thank you for this info. I have checked the Burt's Bees Hair care page and they don't show Natural Skin Care for Men Hair Gel.

I have been using Naturelle Hypo-Allergenic Styling alcohol-free Gel which worked great with shorter hair but with my new longer style it doesn't have a firm enough hold. An alcohol-free gel is important to me because I use Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera Shampoo & Conditioner. I just tried the generic equivalent of Paul Mitchell's Super Clean Sculpting Gel and my scalp was itching after a few hours.

Btw both Jason's All Natural Hi-Shine Styling Gel and Aubrey Organics Men's Stock Ginseng Biotin Hair Gel contain alcohol.

I will post back if I find something.
04-12-2015, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 01:02 PM by Bradley.)
Good idea mate! the more of a selection of hair gels that we have the better. I'm more into the regular styling gels as posted in the guide but it'd be great to hear what you find out with other organic hair gels.

I think organic hair gels and gels without a lot of additives are a good choice for those who want to keep the amount of chemicals on the low side. Regular hair gels have lots of chemicals added and whatnot, the chemicals are safe but still some people prefer organic products even if they're not for eating.

About the reviews in this guide, this is a great reference for mens hair gels. I would say the following about each of the hair gels reviewed when it comes to the hairstyles that they're useful for. I've quoted and this hair gel guide in other posts of mine as I think it has everything that any average guy needs to buy a good hair gel.
Like I said these are the gels that were posted and linked to in the first post of this guide.
  • Short Sexy gel - great for just about any mens hairstyle. The hold is strong although some guys will find it very strong. It doesn't dry the hair. If you're unsure of what styling gel to buy, get this one because it will work for just about hairstyle that you want to get.
  • Tigi Mohawk gel - great for vertical hairstyles like the blowout, spiky hair, mohawk, liberty spikes, faux hawk and any other big volume hairstyles where you need your hair to stay up all thru the day.
  • KMS gel - great for casual hairstyles, messy hair styles and shaggy cut styles where you don't want shine. It will keep your hair held in the hairstyle while keeping it flexible. Works very well for wavy hair.
  • Biosilk gel - great for curly hair. For guys with any type of curls and also for black men. It makes the curls look really cool as it gives body to the curls and shape. If you have really curly hair like afro texturised hair or kinky curly hair then this is the best hair gel.
  • Bed Head gel - this is a hair gel with enough hold to suit most hairstyles, even the vertical ones as its hold is strong. It does have shine so it can be used for a look with natural shine, not overdone.
  • American Crew gel - I find the hold of this American Crew hair gel is medium and not strong. o it's a god hair gel for stuff like casual hairstyles and combing hair. Also a good hair gel for curly hair men. For all types of curls.
Just wanting to add with the above a tad more to the hair gel reviews of the guide.
Cheers guys!
04-12-2015, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 03:23 PM by elling.)
Here is a short list of alcohol-free gels that I have found by searching Amazon. These are not necessarily made with organic products. I have not tried any yet. All prices are US$

1. Alba Botanica Strong Hold Style Gel - From Alba Botanica's webpage for this product: 100% Vegetarian. No: Animal Testing, Artificial Colors, Parabens, Phthalates, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Myreth Sulfate
$9.99 / 7 oz. tube
2. Eco Styler Moroccan Argan Oil Styling Gel - From Amazon's product description: Eco Styler Moroccan Argan Oil Styling Gel is formulated with rare oils extracted from kernels of the Argan tree in Morocco. The formula conditions and revitalizes the hair while adding a brilliant shine. Moisturizes providing hydration and elasticity to hair. Conditions with Omega fatty acids and Vitamin E to provide nourishment that strengthens hair. The lightweight formula will give you superior hold without weighing hair down. Like all of Eco Styler styling gels this new gel minimizes flakes and tack, and aids in the prevention of dry skin. Provides UV protection with no tack and is anti-itch.
$13.31 / 32 oz. tub
3. Forever Aloe Styling Gel - $10.60 / 8 oz. tube
4. Cleure [Smooth Control] Hair Styling Gel - From Cleure's webpage for this product:
Alcohol free
Dyes free
Lanolin free
Fragrance free
Folmaldehyde free
Parabens free
Salicylates free
Paraben free
Vegan
Made in the USA
No animal cruelty
Ecologically responsible
$12 / 8 oz. bottle with pump
11-17-2016, 01:12 PM
Can somebody recommend some organic stuff?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What the Hair Products Reviews forum section is about TheMensHairForum 0 1,719 10-13-2013 06:26 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum