Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Becoming a Samurai
03-20-2015, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 11:13 AM by asianboy.)
Becoming a Samurai
Welcome to my hair journey thread!

Introduction

For past few years, I have been wearing various hairstyles, such as pompadour, side part and slicked-back undercut. There's a common theme though: all of them are short hairstyles. I have seen pictures of men with long hair before, but it has never interested me at all. However, I slowly grew tired of going back and forth between the same few hairstyles and I decided that growing out my hair would be a good change.

My hair can be described with four words; black, straight and super fine.

Goal

My hair goal is to grow my hair out to neck/shoulder length. From there, I wish to either part my hair and let it sit naturally or tie it up into a man bun (hence 'Becoming a Samurai' Tongue). Here are some examples:

[Image: d63bc8b62f49413f9e836069944b66c2.jpg][Image: enhanced-22466-1414738401-8.jpg]

Current Situation

I do not have an idea on how long my hair is currently. I have been growing it (from a faded side part hairstyle — faded sides and back, top left long) for about six months now, with two trims (which I hugely regret!). Perhaps a few pictures will help:

[Image: aAZAJtR.png][Image: 98Cw8NU.png][Image: QVu6uU6.png]

If anybody could let me know how long my hair is at the moment, I would greatly appreciate! Big Grin

My hair washing routine is twice a week. They usually take place on Wednesday and Sunday. If I wash my hair daily or too often, my hair will become dry, making it rather painful to towel dry. I am using John Frieda's Luxurious Volume Shampoo, hoping that the volumizing shampoo will help to make my hair look thicker. I do not condition my hair as I do not know what is the use of conditioners.

That's all from me for now! I'll be doing my best to update this as soon as my hair changes noticeably. Thanks for checking in! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2015, 11:39 PM
RE: Becoming a Samurai
I was watching a YouTube video yesterday and the video uploader's clothing was sponsored by a company. He had this picture up towards the end of the video to advertise about the company:

[Image: C3COyCM.png]

I think this would be a more realistic and relatable hair goal/option for me since his hair is almost like mine, probably a little thicker than mine. Does anyone know how much length am I missing in order to achieve such a look? Big Grin
04-07-2015, 09:21 AM
A little update before school starts, trying to tie a bun! Still need length all around, haha. Especially at the bottom as I feel that my hair is pulling. You can also see strands of hair sticking out on my neck. Big Grin

[Image: 8Ysdb59.png]
04-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Great progress bro. I have similar goals to yours. I want my hair to get at least to shoulder length at most. Keep going!
04-09-2015, 08:59 AM
(03-23-2015 11:39 PM)asianboy Wrote:  I was watching a YouTube video yesterday and the video uploader's clothing was sponsored by a company. He had this picture up towards the end of the video to advertise about the company:

[Image: C3COyCM.png]

I think this would be a more realistic and relatable hair goal/option for me since his hair is almost like mine, probably a little thicker than mine. Does anyone know how much length am I missing in order to achieve such a look? Big Grin

I would say you have to grow your hair atlas 3 or 4 more months to achieve that length. as hair grows half an inch per month. You will have it real soon. This hair reminds me of the brad pitt hairstyle in world war z as they look similar.

[Image: 2dt1uea.jpg]

[Image: 2s16geu.jpg]
04-09-2015, 11:17 AM
How about a higher man bun on your head?
(04-07-2015 09:21 AM)asianboy Wrote:  A little update before school starts, trying to tie a bun! Still need length all around, haha. Especially at the bottom as I feel that my hair is pulling. You can also see strands of hair sticking out on my neck. Big Grin

[Image: 8Ysdb59.png]

Damn that looks awesome! Congratulations on your hair growth and styling. You will certainly get an epic bun soon gauging how your hair growth is going.

Have you measured your hair with a measuring tape of some sort? Your hair is probably around 8 to 10 inches long by the looks of it.

Also, how about tying your hair higher on the head? With your hair length you'd certainly be able to do so, and you'd in fact be able to tie an actual bun (and not just a tail) if you tied your hair on the vertex, which is where the man bun hairstyle is worn as of the current fashion trend. The vertex is the back of the top of your head.

Something like this man bun positioning:

[Image: Man-Bun.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mcq41pAave1qlttmso1_500.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-09-2015, 11:56 PM
Thank you for your replies, shahrukhch1 and TheMensHairForum. Smile

I didn't realize Brad Pitt had that hairstyle, that's another picture for me to refer to! Big Grin Really appreciate your answer about the time needed to achieve the hairstyle, I'll keep going for another 3 to 4 months and see how it turns out.

I haven't tried measuring my hair length with a measuring tape yet, I'll try and find one and report my results here. With regards to tying my hair higher up, I am able to do so comfortably but I can't get my sides and backs into the bun yet (too short). So I end up with a half-bun, which I feel that it looks awful because of how long the back is. Perhaps if it was wavy/curly then it would be better, but sadly, I have straight hair. Rolleyes

Probably not on my vertex but here's my attempt:

[Image: NRDysSa.png]
04-10-2015, 10:14 PM
It looks good bro. You just need more length. Keep going. you will be there soon and try different hairstyles with the length you have. you never know what you may like. This is the good thing about long hair. It can be styled in many different ways
04-13-2015, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2015 12:50 AM by asianboy.)
Agreed! Can only wait for my hair to grow now, thanks for the reply! Smile
09-08-2015, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 10:48 PM by asianboy.)
Hello!

A long overdue update is finally here, haha. Quite a few things to share since the last update in April! Been busy with school, but I'm glad to have time to post this. So let's get started!

Growth

I honestly thought my hair was growing not by much, until I came back here and looked at the images in my first post. Really satisfied with the growth, still can't wait to achieve my desired hair length! The front has caught up with the back (although not completely). The best thing is that I actually have subtle waves at the back of my hair! Here's my progress in five/six months (image on the right is a better visual representation):

[Image: kCJV2xl.jpg?1][Image: XGEubcP.jpg?1]

Styling

I recently picked up Hanz de Fuko's Quicksand. That product is just unique. I will be doing a review on that soon, so keep a lookout for it! Back to styling, I use the product to do a side part, as well as to define the waves better. Now and then, I substitute the wax for a hair moisturizer, mostly on days when I'm feeling lazy.

I'm able to do a half-bun comfortably. A full man bun is possible, but it pulls the bottom of my hair, so I am leaving it to grow longer before I wear the style.

New Goals

In my first post, I said that my goals were:

[Image: d63bc8b62f49413f9e836069944b66c2.jpg]

With my current hair length, I am able to achieve the style rather easily. But as I grew my hair longer, I was interested in another direction - to wear an even longer hair style. Introducing to you...

Malcolm Lindberg!

[Image: 10838591_890555924295949_54744353_n.jpg][Image: I_LOVE_MALCOLM_LINDBERG_FASHIONISTO%2B(10)%2B(Copy).jpg]

More growing to do!

Experiences

Growing long hair is one of the best things I've ever done in my life. I'm not really an adventurous person in general, but growing long hair has put me on an adventure where I have learned so much. I'm going to share a few of the more interesting things that I've experienced in the past five/six months (I spent most of my time in school!).

1. In situations like meeting (a group of) new people, growing long hair has become something that people talk to me about. They ask me how long have I grown my hair for; what I plan to do about it.

2. Growing long hair brings attention - both positive and negative. Positive attention includes people praising you for how long hair looks on you, how they respect you for having the determination grow your hair out; how you have long hair even when you are a guy. Negative attention includes people mocking you (name-calling)... and that's all.

3. I have been called 'xiao mei' countless times in public, which means 'little girl' in Mandarin.

4. I have seen guys enter the school's gents, only to see me at the sink washing my hands, then walking out to check the toilet sign to see if they entered the right toilet. So far, only one guy laughed and admitted to me he thought I was a girl.

5. Sometimes, girls are more excited about your hair than you are. "Oh, look at that soft hair! I want to braid it for you. I want to tie it into a bun." touches your hair while you smile awkwardly

6. Long hair becomes part of your identity. This is the coolest thing for me. People start associating you with your hair. "Hey do you know asianboy?" "Oh yeah, he's the guy with the long hair, isn't it?" You get nicknames like 'Long Hair Dude' or 'Long Hair Guy'. You also stand out a lot more easily because you don't see a guy with long hair as often, well, at least in my country!

That's it for now, gotta do the dishes. I will be back later to type out a review for Hanz de Fuko's Quicksand! For all my fellow forum members who are growing out your hair, keep going and don't let the negative attention get to you! In the end, be comfortable with yourself. If long hair's what you want, it's yours to (grow and) keep.

See you all for another update!
10-02-2015, 02:18 AM
My attempt at a (full) man bun!

[Image: ZkxZrZI.jpg?1]
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------