Poll: Which one do you prefer to go for your haircuts/hairstyles?
Barbershop
Hair Salon
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barbershop or Hair Salon? Which do you prefer?
05-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Barbershop or Hair Salon? Which do you prefer?
Do you prefer to go to a barbershop and keep it oldschool or go to a hair salon and take advantage of more complex haircut and hairstyle techniques?

Yes/No and discuss!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2013, 09:32 PM
RE: Barbershop or Hair Salon? Which do you prefer?
Barbershop, no hesitation (though I'm a barber myself!). The barbershop experience is more wholesome for males, plus we can also groom facial hair among other services.

Also a good number of barbers can deliver some shapely haircuts and styles for hair that are right up there with hairstylists. More and more barbers are getting on with the times, in fact some of them way too much and are turning what is supposed to be a hair grooming service into a service more geared for female fashionistas.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
05-20-2013, 10:15 PM
(05-20-2013 09:32 PM)Barber Wrote:  Barbershop, no hesitation (though I'm a barber myself!). The barbershop experience is more wholesome for males, plus we can also groom facial hair among other services.

Also a good number of barbers can deliver some shapely haircuts and styles for hair that are right up there with hairstylists. More and more barbers are getting on with the times, in fact some of them way too much and are turning what is supposed to be a hair grooming service into a service more geared for female fashionistas.

You make a very good point Barber, welcome to the forum! Smile

While the majority of barbers will deliver classic and convenient haircuts and hairstyles, a good portion of them are venturing into the more hip side of hairstyling, so the line is sort of blurring between what a barber and a hairstylist can do.

I remember Rogelio mentioning in his books that barbers are easier to relate to in terms of hairstyles as just about all barbers are males which I believe is a good enough reason to tip the scale on the side of barbers for men who want classic or convenient hairstyles.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-21-2013, 05:55 PM
The few times Ive been to a hair salon was with my girl and i never quite enjoyed it. I always go to my trusted barbershop downtown, it has the recliner barbershop seats too so it's very vintage shall we say Big Grin
05-21-2013, 08:43 PM
it's the barbershop for me, it's always been like that with the males in my family thou we usually go for a buzz & fade.
05-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Barbershop for me, although hairdressers tend to know more about cutting curly hair, which is an advantage for someone with a lot of hair that is pretty curvy and beastly. I've learnt to cut my hair, but I'll go to a good barber/hairdresser who knows how to cut curly hair when I need a big cut.

All things equal, I'll go for a barber instead of a hairdresser, simply because of the oldschool environment and because it brings good memories.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Barbershop.
My mother would take all my brothers and i (we were 6 lol) to the same barbershop for all our childhood, we would get a fade with a tiny bit of length at the top to show some kinky hair length. The smell of shaving foam, the big barbershop chairs, the white coats of the barbers, ive grown accustomed to that and cherish those barbershop memories to this day Smile
06-24-2013, 12:07 PM
mm I was actually going to unisex hair salons but maybe i should consider a barbershop, never been to keen on being so detailed with my hair cutting to be honest.
07-08-2013, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 09:26 AM by Origin Saint.)
I've only ever been to salons. Mostly due to the fact that I've only seen one barber-shop in my area, ever. My father got his hair cut there, and it ended up much shorter than he wanted, so I doubt I'll be doing that anytime soon. I would like to try some of these "hip" barber shops you speak of. For the longest time though, I only went to Great Clips and then recently I just started letting my girlfriend cut my hair, but I'm hoping to get a decent salon haircut this month.
07-08-2013, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 02:25 PM by Barber.)
Origin Saint, it depends on what u want done. Are you going for some modern hairstyles or a classic cut and wash? If all you want is a convertible haircut, then a traditional barbershop is great. But if you want a layered cut for a shaggy hairstyle, ur better off going to a hair salon (unisex ones) or speak with your barber first to ask for his experiences with the haircut etc

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
07-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I do usually go for more layered/shaggy haircuts than typical shorter styled hair.
07-10-2013, 03:24 PM
(07-09-2013 03:48 PM)Origin Saint Wrote:  Yeah, I do usually go for more layered/shaggy haircuts than typical shorter styled hair.

Yep, then you are better off with an unisex hair salon, barbers are more for the classic haircut look. Shaggy haircuts are tricky because part of the messy look (so it looks neat) is that the hair is cut in layers but also asymmetrically so not all shaggy haircuts look good depending on the hairdresser!

07-21-2013, 12:11 PM
I prefer the barbershop. I have a few friends that go to salons and I just feel it doesn't have the same atmosphere.
08-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Lol well being black it would be weird going to a hair salon so barber of course!
08-03-2013, 06:09 PM
(07-21-2013 12:11 PM)jonx06 Wrote:  I prefer the barbershop. I have a few friends that go to salons and I just feel it doesn't have the same atmosphere.

(08-03-2013 05:55 PM)Tomcat775 Wrote:  Lol well being black it would be weird going to a hair salon so barber of course!

(08-03-2013 05:55 PM)Tomcat775 Wrote:  Lol well being black it would be weird going to a hair salon so barber of course!

+1

Where are you guys from (jonx06 and Tomcat775)?

By the way I edited te post and added a poll to the thread so we can all vote for our preferred one although it looks like the barbershop is winning by far from the posts in the thread so far.

08-04-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm from Georgia
08-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Interesting, from my experience folks in south.east US prefer barbershops to hair salons. Seems like hair salons/hairdressers are more in New York and big coastal cities like Miami and Los Angeles. Just some pattern I have seen over the years.

08-26-2013, 06:11 PM
I prefer barbershops too, not a fan of hair salons even the unisex hair salons Tongue
08-28-2013, 07:01 AM
I go to a barber on the rare occasion that I get my hair cut because it grows really slow and I want longer hair, like down to the bottom of the back of my neck kinda hair.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top Tips on How to Cut your Own Hair - No barbershop visits! Sunset 10 8,091 01-14-2015 10:31 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1
  Do you apply wax/gel before going to barbershop/stylist to have haircut? choco00934141 4 28,457 09-03-2014 07:55 PM
Last Post: choco00934141