Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barber vs hairstylist, who gives better taper haircuts and fades?
12-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Barber vs hairstylist, who gives better taper haircuts and fades?
Wondering who would give a better taper haircut and fade, a barber or a hairstylist. I have no bad vibes against hair stylists but from my experience i favor barbers as they have given me some very smooth and professional tapers. From hearing stories from male friends, hairstylists really don't cut it when it comes to classic taper cuts and fades. What and who do you all think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2013, 03:29 PM
RE: Barber vs hairstylist, who gives better taper haircuts and fades?
Lordius, if you had asked me this same question 20 years ago, I would have told you that barbers give much better taper haircuts and other men's haircuts in general. However, times have changed and there are many hairstylists who have polished their regular hair cutting skills and appeased men's hair needs which are usually not those of women's hairstyling needs.

If you want peace of mind, go to a barber, but do bear in mind that not all barbers are created equal. Usually the old barbers who have been at their profession for 20+ years, the barbers from barbershops with an African American male clientele and the barbers from a military background will provide the best men's haircuts including taper and fades! And incidentally, they tend to be the cheapest too.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
12-31-2013, 09:48 AM
Arghhh this question is a bit "controversial"?
You will have people saying barbers cut better hair while other people saying hair stylists cut better hair.
For me:
  • Gentlemen haircuts such as taper haircuts, Ivy league haircuts, businessmen haircuts, Crew cuts, Undercuts and other short haircuts including military style haircuts.
  • Hairstylists haircuts such as layered cuts for long hair, Mohawks, Bobcuts, perm hair and creative hairstyles with medium & long lengths.
I go by the above list but I know hairstylists who are very good with short haircuts for men, it doesn't matter if its a lady or a dude, just ask them about their experience.
In The Mens' Hair Book in the chapter about finding the best hair profeesional you will find lots of tips & it really is about finding someone with experience without labeling as "hairstylist" or "barber" Wink
01-02-2014, 10:35 PM
As Jurgen said, I tend to find that Barber's are better for shorter cuts, where as stylists are better at things such as layering.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My hair / hairline and haircuts I could get . Help. John_cook115 0 108 11-15-2016 05:52 PM
Last Post: John_cook115
  Best tall men hairstyles and haircuts for great aesthetics A Tall Guy 1 237 10-20-2016 11:17 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  How do I explain this haircut to my barber? zackras 0 596 08-19-2016 04:31 PM
Last Post: zackras
  How to get classic side part hairstyle with taper haircut Petarot100 0 618 04-16-2016 09:04 AM
Last Post: Petarot100