Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Barber Guide to the Buzz Cut - All Types of Buzz Cuts with Pictures and Instructions
03-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Barber Guide to the Buzz Cut - All Types of Buzz Cuts with Pictures and Instructions
This is a guide on the buzz cut. We will explain and cover the different types of buzz cuts, and post pictures and product recommendations. You are welcome to discuss the particulars of this haircut as well as to ask questions or add pictures.

What is a buzz cut?

The buzz cut (aka buzzcut) is a generic term for short buzzed hair. The buzz cut is a short haircut for men, and it is done with a hair clipper alone. Because of its nature, buzz cuts have always been associated with military haircuts and, for the most part, military men get some kind of buzzcut. There is no scissors (aka shears) involved in this haircut, everything is clipped with any number or length of guard, blade or guiding comb.

How to do a buzz cut

A buzz cut is pretty easy since all you need is a good hair clipper. Depending on which one of the buzz cut types you aim for, you will however use a different set of lengths. Having a good mirror is also a good idea as it allows you to see all of your scalp without effort while clipping your head.

The types of buzz cuts

Because of the buzz cut being a generic word, there are quite a few actual mens haircuts that qualify as buzz cuts or specific "types". In essence, these are the types of buzz cuts:
  • Induction cut
  • Burr cut
  • Butch cut
  • Crew cut
  • Flat top
  • Ivy League
  • High and Tight
  • High and Tight Recon

Induction cut

The Induction Cut is the shortest of all buzz cuts. With a hair clipper, simply clip your hair with no blade or guard attached (usually known as a #0). The only hairstyle that is shorter than an Induction cut is shaving your head.

[Image: c4jYU0b.jpg]

Burr Cut

Like with the Induction cut, to get a Burr Cut you should just grab a good hair clipper and this time clip your hair evenly with a #1, a #2 or a #3. By evenly I mean that you use the same length number of your clipper all across your head.

[Image: I4yYjyC.jpg]

Butch cut

Grab a clipper and clip your hair a bit longer with a length number of a #4, or even longer if your hair clipper allows for this (most do, especially if you have a wide range of guiding combs).

Some barbers swap the lengths for a Butch Cut with that of a burr cut, so it is always better to go by guard or blade number than from the actual name of the cut if you want to go for any of these 2 military haircuts. A butch cut can also be referred to as a brush cut, so, again, be careful with the terminology.

[Image: xKJPk54.jpg]

Crew cut

In a Crew Cut, the hair is cut with a clipper taper on the sides and back of the head while the top is either clipped evenly with a longer clipper blade or is tapered towards the vertex (back of the top of the head) so that the hair is slightly longer on the front (forelock) than on the vertex.

In the United States, the crew cut is done with the front of the head (forelock) slightly longer than the hair at the vertex, while in Europe the crew cut is done with the top of the head clipped with the same number. In any case you can talk with your barber or hairdresser about what is it exactly that you want.

And yes, the dude below with a crew cut is Channing Tatum and the hottie next to him is his wife Big Grin

[Image: 517px-Channing_Tatum%2C_Jenna_Dewan_2012.jpg]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2014, 02:01 PM
RE: Barber Guide to the Buzz Cut - All Types of Buzz Cuts with Pictures and Instructions
Ivy League

The Ivy League haircut is cut in the same way as a crew cut, with the only difference being that the Ivy League is several numbers (of the blade/guard) longer. The Ivy League haircut can have the top of the head trimmed with scissors but, for the Ivy League to be a real buzz cut, the top must be done with a hair clipper only (i.e. a number/length higher than a #4 or half an inch).

The Ivy League haircut is also known as a Harvard haircut, Princeton clip or Brown haircut as it is a popular haircut among the students of the Ivy League universities.

[Image: 419px-MattDamonBU.jpg]

Flat Top

The Flat Top (aka flattop) is a high fade haircut with the hair on the top clipped in a way that when the hair on the top is lifted up with some wax or gel, the hair then creates a flat surface. The Flat Top takes some skill to do (as do all kinds of fades) and we recommend you to get your first flattop haircut in a barbershop, even better if it is a barbershop owned by a former military member. The flat top is a popular haircut with military men so military barbers give the best flattops.

The hair on the top of the Flat Top can range between half an inch to a whole 1 inch depending on preference. Have a look at our flat top haircut guide for more on this particular haircut.

[Image: PLvxAcL.jpg]

High and tight

The High and Tight haircut is done with the sides and back of the head clipped to a #1 or #2 (use the same number you decide to go with for both the sides and back) while the hair on the top is clipped with a clipper number that is two numbers higher (so if the sides/back are done with a #2, the top is done with a #4). The high and tight is similar in structure to the Undercut only that the top is shorter in the high and tight.

The high and tight is a popular military haircut among the Army and Marines, who are sometimes referred to as "jarheads" because of the way this cut looks.

[Image: VuhZVoO.jpg]

High and tight recon

The High and Tight Recon (aka Recon) is a more extreme high and tight where the sides and back are clipped without a blade or guard attached to the clipper and so is also clipped the top, except for a 2 inch wide stripe running from the middle of the forehead to the vertex (back of top of the head). This strip is clipped with a #2 or #3, and the jargon for it is a "landing strip". The Recon is almost like the "official" haircut of the Marines.

[Image: oQ7EXKo.jpg]

Hair products for the buzz cut

As said earlier, all you need for a good buzz cut is a hair clipper. However, it is important that you use a high-quality hair clipper because cheap clippers break easily, overheat and, in the case of cordless clippers, die halfway through the haircut even though you fully charge the battery.

Out of all hair clippers for men that are available, we highly recommend either of these 2 clippers:
  • This Andis cordless clipper: the cordless hair clipper found in the link is one excellent clipper. The motor used is a rotary motor which is the most powerful motor around for a clipper or trimmer, so this clipper will easily clip through the thickest of manes. The battery is long lasting, and lasts over one hour without a break, buzzing hair non stop and without overheating like the cheap clippers do. This hair clipper also comes with a full range of guiding combs for more precise clipping (i.e. you can use a #1, #2, #3 and much higher). To put the icing on the cake, this clipper also comes with a protective hard case perfect for taking your clipper anywhere. Without a doubt, this Andis cordless clipper is an excellent clipper choice that will last you years.
    |
  • This Oster corded clipper: Oster is known for putting out magnificent hair clippers, and the clipper in the link is one example of a classic epic clipper. It's a premium clipper that will never let you down and that will clip through all kinds of thick and curly hair. Since this clipper is corded (i.e. has to be plugged to work) it costs less than the Andis cordless clipper above, so this Oster clipper is an excellent choice if its price fits your budget better than the higher price of the Andis. If you are going to buy this Oster clipper, then make sure that you buy this extra set of guiding combs for a more flexible clipping experience.
    |
  • This 3-panel mirror: the 3-panel mirror in the link is optional. However, if you want to make the buzzing of your hair much more comfortable, then it is a good idea to have a paneled mirror like the one in the link. This mirror will allow you to position the paneled mirrors on each side at different angles so that you can see the blind spots that naturally occur when buzzing your own hair and using a one paneled mirror (i.e. what you have in your bathroom). Even better, the 3-panel mirror in the link can also be adjusted in terms of magnifying so that you can see your head and face much closer, so this mirror is also of great use for when you're shaving as you will be able to see your facial hair via different angles and much closer!
    |
  • The Men's Hair Book: The Men's Hair Book is also optional for buzzing your head although we highly recommend this book. The Men's Hair Book contains all detailed instructions and knowledge on grooming, styling, profiling and taking care of your head for the long term. This book is one that will act as your reference for everything related to your hair and grooming so it's always very convenient to have the book handy any time you have a question or doubt.

Either of the above clippers plus the instructions in this guide is all you will need for the perfect buzz cut hair!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-08-2014, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2014 02:44 PM by Jurgen.)
RE: Barber Guide to the Buzz Cut - All Types of Buzz Cuts with Pictures and Instructions
Another epic guide from you sir. My hat goes to you TMHF Big Grin
What do you think of adding the horseshoe flat top haircut? I know it is just a rare - and bit funny - variation of the regular flat top, but maybe we could make a mention to it too?

Since we talked about this in the past and since we already have in the forum a horseshoe flattop guide covering this rare mens cut, perhaps a small mention? This below is my suggested editorial section. We can insert it into the guide or just leave it here in my post Smile

Horseshoe flat top
The horseshoe flat top - aka horseshoe flattop - is a short mens haircut based around the regular flat top. The hair is first clipped to a flat top - see the instructions in this same guide for the flat top instructions - so the hair on the top will make a flat surface - a regular flattop - and then you use the clipper to buzz inside the flat top so a U shape is made with the clipped hair of the flat top.
It is best to look at pictures of the horseshoe flat top for a better idea tho. Since the horseshoe flat top is a short haircut, it is really easy to do yourself if you have a clipper as all you have to do is place the clipper on the top of your head from the back of the flat top and slide the clipper forward!

[Image: e266neU.jpg]

[Image: MWN4awM.jpg]

[Image: U3NEZTd.jpg]
03-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Finally someone who writes a great guide on the buzz cut term and mentions that the buzz cut is a term or family of haircuts and not a haircut in itself lol this forum is the only website on the whole of the internet where the term is used correctly.

Back to the topic I think the military cuts are awesome. Perhaps as a barber and in my barber interest I should not be saying this but if you have a good hair clipper like the Andis or Oster mentioned in this guide and you want to stick to the military cuts, then you don't really need a hairdresser any more lol these haircuts are easy to do after a couple of tries and once you get the hang of the. And it takes one to clip the cut... what... something like 5 minutes at max to retouch the haircut every two weeks? that is a lot of money you save after 6 months and offsets the price of a good hair clipper.
The horseshoe tho... I will say it looks a bit too extreme Big Grin altho it is true that as a military haircut, the soldiers on the battlefield are not in the most chill out of situations so any haircut is game on for them.
03-24-2014, 10:56 AM
I wish and I really mean it that the internet could have guides like this one.
Seriously the advice I have read on other sites about the buzz cut let alone mens haircuts is downright awful and reading haircut guides like this one brings a barber tear to my eye. The buzz cut is indeed a FAMILY of haircuts! geezers at all those supposed to be mens websites and magazines can you for once and all get that right?

Gosh I think the internet owes one to this forum LoL I was away for 3 weeks and you guys put out something like 15 epic haircut guides in that time? great work as usual gents and this guide should be a 'must read' guide for every male on the internet who wants to get a short haircut.
Cheers.

(03-12-2014 02:06 PM)Bradley Wrote:  Finally someone who writes a great guide on the buzz cut term and mentions that the buzz cut is a term or family of haircuts and not a haircut in itself lol this forum is the only website on the whole of the internet where the term is used correctly.

Back to the topic I think the military cuts are awesome. Perhaps as a barber and in my barber interest I should not be saying this but if you have a good hair clipper like the Andis or Oster mentioned in this guide and you want to stick to the military cuts, then you don't really need a hairdresser any more lol these haircuts are easy to do after a couple of tries and once you get the hang of the. And it takes one to clip the cut... what... something like 5 minutes at max to retouch the haircut every two weeks? that is a lot of money you save after 6 months and offsets the price of a good hair clipper.
The horseshoe tho... I will say it looks a bit too extreme Big Grin altho it is true that as a military haircut, the soldiers on the battlefield are not in the most chill out of situations so any haircut is game on for them.

+1 for my fellow brit barber here.
03-27-2014, 01:06 PM
LOL at Bradley & Barber getting mad at the fake pros mis-using the buzz cut name Big Grin I will admit I probably have in the past at some point called a butch cut a buzzcut but then i do not make a living from giving hairstyle advice I can understand the point tho as in my field of study we also have a lot of fake pros and posers giving bad advice which then helps spread the myths and hearsay. Actually thank to this forum my BS meter has become really accurate and I have noticed for the most part the male grooming industry is full of bad advice.

Back to the guide tho... this is one heck of a buzz cut guide! I like the distinction you mentioned TMHF of this being a clipper only haircut. That automatically rules other short haircuts like the undercut since the top in the undercut is scissor trimmed as far as i know. Good tip to consider when going to the barber and wanting to get your head buzzed.

What do you guys think of buzzing your head for summer? I know many guys who let their hair grow for the rest of the year yet buzz their heads real short when summer arrives. I have heard it is for convenience and freshness but do you think buzzing your head for summer could have other benefits too?
03-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Hello admins this guide is perfect! I had questions last month of what lengths for buzz cut hair. I open a thread and other members directed me to this guide and I am very happy because I want to grow my hair long but I also like to keep it buzzed. Two different types of lengths Big Grin so I will have to decide soon what to do. For summer I need a decision!

When I see the pictures of the buzzcuts, it is a big temptation for me to get my hair clipper and get induction cuts or a burr cut lol here in Spain it is very hot in summer and I would like to travel. Maybe even go to Rio de Janeiro for Fifa World Cup and there it is very hot and humid so it is more convenient to have short hair with a buzz cut!
04-07-2014, 04:01 AM
Hmm I have a question.
That burr cut picture is a number 1 guard length? I really don't understand anything about guard numbers and lengths.
And for instance, Jamie Foxx always uses a buzz cut if I'm not wrong, what guard is that which he has?
04-07-2014, 10:21 AM
(04-07-2014 04:01 AM)Cookiee15 Wrote:  Hmm I have a question.
That burr cut picture is a number 1 guard length? I really don't understand anything about guard numbers and lengths.
And for instance, Jamie Foxx always uses a buzz cut if I'm not wrong, what guard is that which he has?

A buzz cut is a generic term for a haircut done only with a hair clipper. Inside the term "buzz cut", you have all those mens haircuts that are listed in this guide.

Yes, a Burr Cut is usually a #1 to a #3 although some barbers may call this a butch cut (they are very similar lengths anyway, and it will depend upon the barber you use).

With regards to the numbers, a hair clipper can cut hair in different lengths, mostly using a guiding comb or guard (well, a blade too, but that's for super-short haircuts). The number of a length signifies the length at which the hair will be cut. These are the hair clipper lengths (on average, they may differ a little depending on clipper used):
  1. #1: 1/8 if an inch
  2. #2: 1/4 of an inch
  3. #3: 3/8 of an inch
  4. #4: 1/2 of an inch
Some clippers have higher length numbers, but the above are essentially the most common lengths you will find. So when you tell your barber that you want a #2 all around (your head), then he'll clip your hair so that it is left at a length of 0.25 inches.

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hair Types for Men - Guide for Straight hair, Wavy hair, Coiled hair and Kinky hair TheMensHairForum 36 220,803 Today 04:47 AM
Last Post: mystyleportal
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 625,955 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,215 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 112,215 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight