Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awkward stage medium hair
10-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Awkward stage medium hair
Almost a year ago (in a couple of days), I shaved my head and decided to grow my hair out shoulder length. Over the past year, I've cut my hair a few times to avoid the "I shaved my head and haven't cut my hair since then" look. Eventually, I let the top grow and did an undercut. Currently, the hair on the top is around 12-13 cms long and the sides look a bit awkward. I have straight to wavy hair, with thick strands and a straight hair line. It kind of looks awkward now and, I have to admit, sometimes I want to cut it. But I know that if I go to the hairstylist, he'll cut around an inch or so of my hair and trimming the sides will only just retard the awkward stage for a few weeks.

I have do not wear any product in my hair. I just wash it with shampoo and hair conditioner every few days to keep it healthy and clean. However, over the past week, I've noticed that my hair grew a bit longer and it's getting flat. Not that I mind, because I usually have a lot of volume and have to ask the hairdresser to cut it with shear scissors to remove some volume.

Overall, I can tie my hair so I have a small ponytail but the front strands usually get out eventually and it looks awkward.

So, I was wondering what I could do during this awkward stage. Please help. Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2015, 06:12 PM
RE: Awkward stage medium hair
I'm on that stage now as well, I went to grow out my hair from an undercut 2 months ago,my hair tends to grow quite fast and wild so I usually wear a hat or a beenie, but most of the time I just say f**k it and just let it loose. an alice band helped me most of the time when my fringe want to cover my face. I'm also using an argan oil leave in, helps to tame the frizziness but i need to use it sparingly because it kinda make my hair greasy.
10-31-2015, 10:55 PM
(10-31-2015 06:12 PM)joelfrancis Wrote:  I'm on that stage now as well, I went to grow out my hair from an undercut 2 months ago,my hair tends to grow quite fast and wild so I usually wear a hat or a beenie, but most of the time I just say f**k it and just let it loose. an alice band helped me most of the time when my fringe want to cover my face. I'm also using an argan oil leave in, helps to tame the frizziness but i need to use it sparingly because it kinda make my hair greasy.

How long is your hair? Was it already long when you had the undercut?

I wear beanies most of the time I go out. But it's summer where I live and when it's really sunny and hot, it feels uncomfortable. And you know how awkward your hair looks when you remove the beanie. And I can't wear hats. It either does not suit me or it just falls down.
The argan oil is a good idea. It actually helps your hair grow and prevents dandruff. However, if your hair frizzes at the tip, that's not a good sign. It might be splitting and you need to cut the tip. A few cm will go but your hair will be healthy. Let me know if that's your case.
btw... do you spray the oil on your hair?
11-02-2015, 03:38 AM
tell me about it man, i'd say the top is around 4-5 inches before I started to grow so now it's like 7 inches and the sides abit like 3 inches. luckily I don't get split ends but I do observe there has been a bit of breakage lately, my hair strands are thin and fine and abit wavy so everytime I comb my hair with my fingers I get a few breaks. I don't spray oil on my hair personally because it feels too greasy for me and since I live in the tropics I'd prefer not to.
11-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Well, I measured my hair yesterday, solely because my computer broke and I had nothing else to do, and the middle top is about 7 inches while the top front is about 6 inches long. The sides are around 2 or 3 inches I'd say.
I live in the tropics too so with the heat my hair gets greasy on it's own. And it does not help that I have thick strands. However, I do apply some oil in the weekend and wash my hair the next day to keep it healthy (culture tradition) and they say it helps the hair grow faster.
11-03-2015, 05:46 PM
maybe I'll try that, I read about putting rosemary oil to hair would make your hair grow faster abit so I went and bought a small vial yesterday. it's expensive though.
11-04-2015, 11:47 AM
I don't know about rosemary but I know amla oil, coconut oil, and even regular virgin olive oil are good. And they're relatively cheap given the quantity you get.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing Shoulder Length Hair from Medium Hair, How Much Time? damon789 2 508 10-03-2016 09:37 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 7,374 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Road To Man Bun Awkward Phase CallmeSora 2 1,653 06-08-2016 05:58 PM
Last Post: Joelsweet
  Fine Wavy Hair Awkward Stage Control yanr87 0 809 01-05-2016 05:02 PM
Last Post: yanr87