Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awkward hair stage while growing wavy hair long?
08-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Awkward hair stage while growing wavy hair long?
So my hair is kinda wavy, I wouldn't call it coiled. It's not the typical wavy hair whereas it gets longer when it lays on the forehead.. Instead it just grows upward and keeps accumulating at the front of my head.

So here comes the issue: I have planned countless of times to grow my hair out till the shoulders (shoulder length hair), but each and every time that my hair reaches the awkward stage where it keeps building up (as mentioned earlier) I lose hope and cut my hair. I believe that my hair growth is faster than usual (the usual 1/2 inches a month) so I reach that awkward stage in a time period of 4-5 months..

My hair is about 1.5 inches now and I'm planning on growing it again, but this time with more determination. Would my hair lay down by its own as it gets longer? And how many inches does it need to do so?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2015, 11:12 AM
RE: Awkward hair stage while growing wavy hair long?
Wavy hair is actually curly hair so it is no surprise that it does what you are going through. The only men's hair type that is exempt for the awkward stage of hair growth is straight hair. From wavy hair to kinky curly hair, you simply have to put up with going through the awkward stage. In case that you don't know about the four men's hair types see this hair type guide posted in the forum.

The good news is that wavy hair has the shortest period for the awkward stage. Wavy hair will start to hang low and down once it is about six inches in length. It can take a bit longer considering that your hair may actually be coiled and not as wavy as you may think (happens a lot of times, trust me). Regardless I would shoot for a length between six inches and eight inches before your long wavy hair starts to hang down instead of growing up.

One thing that helps with the awkward stage for wavy hair is getting the hair on the sides and back of the head trimmed in either a taper haircut or an undercut haircut. If you want to have a shoulder length for your wavy hair, then an undercut haircut is the best short haircut for the sides and back of the head. That is if you want to shorten the time that you spend on the awkward stage of your hair growth. However an undercut with long wavy hair can look bad so it's a risky haircut for wavy long hair.

By far the best type of haircut for shoulder-length wavy hair is a layered haircut. So instead of having the sides and back of your head buzzed extremely short as with an undercut, the hair on the sides and back of the head is instead kept at a very symmetrical length to the hair on the top of the head. This creates a curtained look that will shorten the amount of hair length needed to create the illusion of having shoulder-length hair.

The minimum hair length for the shoulder length hairstyle is twelve inches. That's a lot of hair length and will take about two years to achieve from a buzz cut. This hair length implies that the hair on the top of your head reaches your shoulders. With a layered haircut you can have eight inches of hair length instead of twelve inches and still look like you have shoulder length hair. You're under-cutting a good eight months of hair growth by doing that (four inches of hair length is about eight months of hair growth).

What I would recommend to you (as if you were a customer at my barbershop) is to start growing your wavy hair. However only do this if the hair on the sides and back of your head is at the same length as the hair on the top of your head. If the hair on the top of your head happens to be longer than the hair on the sides and back, then get a haircut that levels off the hair length difference. You want to start growing your hair long with the same length all around the head.

Once you start growing your hair longer all the way to at least eight inches of length, it's now time to remain patient. Do not get a haircut for a year and a half as you grow your hair to your desired hair length (which should be eight inches of hair length).

The trick to taming your wavy hair and wavy curls during the awkward stage is to keep your wavy hair moisturized. That's actually one of the most important elements in growing wavy hair or curly hair longer, yet so many guys skip this part. You must use a conditioner on your hair a couple of times per week, with two days per week being the minimum frequency of conditioner use. For some great conditioners for men see this list of men's hair products and browse down to the conditioner section (it's in the first post) which lists the conditioners recommended by the barbershop team in the forum.

Also get a leave-in conditioner for your wavy hair. With a leave-in conditioner you can kill two birds with one stone:
  1. You will keep your wavy hair moisturized. A leave-in conditioner is like a regular conditioner only that a leave-in conditioner is made to be left on the hair and to be used to style long hair in loose hairstyles, which is what you want.
  2. You will be also adding extra weight to your hair with the retained moisture in the hair strands together with the actual weight of the leave-in conditioner product that is left coating your long wavy hair.
The two benefits listed above will help your wavy hair to hang down and low. In fact your hair could still be puffing up with no moisture (as in, with no conditioners), but the minute that you condition your hair with either a regular conditioner or a leave-in conditioner, your hair will hang down and not puff up.

See this list of men's leave-in conditioners as it contains the best leave-in conditioners for men. If you read around this forum you will see how a leave-in conditioner is one of the most recommend hair products for guys with long hair or for guys wanting to grow their wavy hair or curly hair long.

A word of caution: always use a leave-in conditioner with wet hair to make sure that the leave-in conditioner does its work and traps the moisture into the hair strands. All hairstyling products should be used on damp hair (and not on dry hair) but with leave-in conditioners you can take it a notch further and have your wavy hair almost dripping water when coating your hair with the leave-in conditioner.

If you have any questions about using a conditioner for men then let me know. It's a very easy hair product to use whether you're using a regular conditioner or a leave-in conditioner. It's also one of the basics of men's hair grooming and men's hair care.
08-31-2015, 03:36 PM
First of all.. thank you for your reply.. you cleared many things for me.

Regarding this:

(08-29-2015 11:12 AM)Panther Wrote:  If you have any questions about using a conditioner for men then let me know. It's a very easy hair product to use whether you're using a regular conditioner or a leave-in conditioner. It's also one of the basics of men's hair grooming and men's hair care.

I do actually... Big Grin
I have no idea what a leave-in conditioner is.
Should i use it with the normal conditioner or is it a replacement?
Should i start using conditioners during the awkward stage only? Or from now on too?

Also, you have mentioned that my hair might be coiled instead of wavy.. my hair is typical wavy till it gets to about 3-4 inches, then it starts to form large wavy coils that can be easily combed but as you mentioned they are puffing and overlapping.
09-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Hey Nickel,

I have wavy thick hair and I am currently in the awkward stage. I have a cowlick so my hair grows up and out on the front side. The weight of my hair is just starting to fall down.

Here's what it looks like!

[Image: pu9sXOz.jpg]

[Image: TUhlJj8.jpg]

[Image: awetbDH.jpg]
09-11-2015, 10:51 AM
(08-31-2015 03:36 PM)Nickel Wrote:  Should i use it with the normal conditioner or is it a replacement?
Should i start using conditioners during the awkward stage only? Or from now on too.?

Also, you have mentioned that my hair might be coiled instead of wavy.. my hair is typically wavy till it gets to about 3-4 inches.. then it starts to form large wavy coils that can be easily combed but as you mentioned they are puffing and overlapping.

It's normal to have wavy hair start forming wavy coils as the hair gets longer, don't worry about that.

A leave-in conditioner is a type of product that you use to style your hair in a casual hairstyle. The great thing about a leave-in conditioner is that it helps a lot with taming the big frizzy hair into naturally shaped wavy coils.

Sometimes a leave-in conditioner can be used as a replacement for a normal conditioner, but I don't recommend this for you. Instead, continue using a normal conditioner and then, when you style your hair, use a leave-in conditioner. By styling your hair with a leave-in, you are amplifying the hair-moisturizing properties of the normal conditioner too, which helps a lot in getting smooth, soft and shapely coils.

See this list of leave-in conditioners for men to pick a good leave-in conditioner that fits your wallet budget. Any of the listed leave-in conditioners in the link will do a great job for your purpose.

Since your hair is getting longer, you need to start using a normal conditioner for the rest of you life with long hair until you cut you hair. Remember that the awkward hair stage is a sign of a good amount of hair growth and that the awkward hair stage will be over soon. With a conditioner and a leave-in conditioner, you will actually kill the awkward hair stage very soon as the main symptom of the awkward hair stage is puffy and frizzy hair; this is exactly what the use of a normal conditioner (in the shower) and a leave-in conditioner (to style you hair) will fight against and will make you hair smooth and lustrous.

(09-10-2015 06:46 PM)Wesrob351 Wrote:  Hey Nickel,

I have wavy thick hair and I am currently in the awkward stage. I have a cowlick so my hair grows up and out on the front side. The weight of my hair is just starting to fall down.

Here's what it looks like!

Despite the awkward hair stage your hair is looking good. Yes, I can see that it is starting to hang down, give it two to three more inches, which is about four more months of hair growth, and your wavy locks will be loose and dangling. Most guys will chop off their hair at our stage, but don't do that as you are almost done with the awkward hair stage.

Your hair doesn't look that awkward either, it has a clean tousled look. Are you using any type of conditioner?
09-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Hey Panther,

I tried logging into my other account (Wesrob351), but I forgot the password and tried to make a new one multiple times with no luck. So I just made a new account. Thanks so much for the kind words!
How much longer will the awkward phase last?

I tried rocking an Alice band to help with the bangs... I felt pretty self conscious when wearing it. Not sure if it's just something I need to get used to or what. Tell me what you think! I have a post on (can't post pics here) the Fierce Flow sub-reddit.

Do you think I just need to "train" my hair to go back to allow it to lay back more? It may be flopping due to me having a side part since the beginning of growing it out. Maybe I'll just wear bandanas, hats and Alice bands while at home so It can lay slicked back with ease. I'd appreciate any tips or advice!

And yes I do use a conditioner. I use the Ever creme conditioner by L'Oreal and sleek and shine leave in conditioner by Garnier. I've been trying to wash my hair as little as possible (2-4 times per week) but I'm not sure if I use paste, styling cream or wax I should shampoo every day I use that.

Thanks,
Wes
09-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Wesley, please continue posting in your new thread.
Wesley, I replied to your new thread on how to control the awkward hair stage for long hair and I also copied and pasted your last reply in this current thread (into your new thread) so as to reference it in my post on your new thread. Please, any further replies of yours make them in that thread of yours so that the forum member who started this thread can continue to get feedback on his own case.

To the forum member who stated this thread (Nickel), your account has been upgraded so that you can post pictures of your own hair if you want to show us how your hair is currently looking so as to get a better view of what we're dealing with at the moment in terms of the dreaded awkward hair stage. I also suggest that you read the linked thread above of Wesley's issue as I've posted my replies there providing my help on his similar situation to yours.

Thank you, gentlemen.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing out my hair. Skyro 0 137 11-11-2016 06:14 AM
Last Post: Skyro
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 119 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 439 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Growing Shoulder Length Hair from Medium Hair, How Much Time? damon789 2 506 10-03-2016 09:37 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist