Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At what age does facial hair and growing a beard fully mature?
06-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Question At what age does facial hair and growing a beard fully mature?
I posted a thread about testosterone levels and growing a thick full beard, so I wanted to ask now, at what age does a man fully develop his facial hair and beard?

I ask this question in reference to my testosterone thread because I'm 22 and I cannot yet connect my sideburns to my mustache for a full beard look. Growing my facial hair isn't the problem. The problem is growing a full beard with no hairless areas. I posted an example of a guy who has a similar issue like me where the sideburns and hair on the sides of the face simply don't meet the mustache and upper lip hair. His picture is the first and then compare that to the second picture I'm posting below of a thick full beard. The difference in beard fullness and thickness is massive.

This is my other thread about the connection between high testosterone levels and a full beard.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...one-levels

I have healthy levels of testosterone, yet I cannot connect my beard which is annoying. Laboratory tests for my testosterone levels were in the 700s out of a healthy range from 200 to 1000 units if I recall correctly as I don't have the tests in front of me but I do remember that my testosterone levels were good.

I would like to of course be able to grow a thick full beard. It's kinda pointless to me to grow a beard when the facial hair doesn't connect fully. So at 22, is my facial hair still developing and will I be able to grow a full beard?

[Image: rMr3Ixm.jpg]

[Image: 2261fda5f68ca43caf8f5bbb46649af1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Growing a thick full beard is determined by your genes above all else!
Well, to fully answer your question, we have to look at two factors that make up your current beard state (so to speak).

First of all, beard shape and distribution is determined by your genes. You're born with a given number of follicles, already distributed across your body as a baby (but of course, those follicles are inactive at that time, otherwise there'd be some furry babies being born!).

The follicles become activated at different ages depending on the region of the body. In the case of your beard, you cannot fully know your ultimate beard shape and whether you'll be able to grow a full beard or not until all of your beard hair strands are matured and the follicles are growing so-called terminal hair strands.

Facial hair in men matures fully by the ages of 21 to 35. That is, if you're 40 years of age and you have a patchy beard, then you will never be able to grow a full beard. The good news is that at age 22, you still do have some more years of facial-hair maturing left.

The bad news is that you may have already reached your maximum potential and thus have all your facial hair matured into terminal hair by age 22. In fact, it's more common for men to have their facial hair and thus beards mature already in their early to mid twenties. From my experience in the industry, if you cannot grow a full beard (with no hairless patches) by age 28, you are very unlikely to get any fuller till age 35 or thereabouts.

Lastly, the age at which your facial hair matures is determined by your genes, but it is affected by your levels of dihydrotestosterone (the same sex hormone that can make you go bald). However, if you have healthy ranges of dihydrotestosterone as most men do, you would be limited strictly by what your genes are telling your follicles to do.

I would not worry so much about not being able to grow a full thick beard. There are plenty of cool facial hair styles that you can grow and maintain with some facial hair and not a full beard.

If you want to keep a good facial hair style, do make sure to also have a look at our linked thread on recommended beard trimmers to buy since an important part of having a great facial hair style without a full beard is being able to keep the hair neatly trimmed!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
12-27-2015, 07:07 PM
RE: At what age does facial hair and growing a beard fully mature?
Dang bro, if that first picture is of you, you have nothing to complain about. Not only do you have plenty of time but it hardly even looks patchy as it is. Im trying to grow a beard with a much patchier face at age 23. still not sure if i should give up or push it a bit more.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What beard trimmer? Hublocker 0 72 11-21-2016 04:42 PM
Last Post: Hublocker
  Can I grow skyrim beard Skyrimbeard 1 149 11-15-2016 11:47 AM
Last Post: Cemmos
  Patch in beard Zaryhf 0 214 10-15-2016 02:25 AM
Last Post: Zaryhf
  Facial hair taxonomy - Illustrative reference in sections The Hairstylist 0 204 10-09-2016 09:25 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist