Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asymmetric Hairstyles for Men - Guide with Style Pictures and Advice
04-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Asymmetric Hairstyles for Men - Guide with Style Pictures and Advice
This is our guide on asymmetric hairstyles for men. The asymmetric mens hairstyles are a range of styles where the haircut is not even and, by default, nor is the styling. Asymmetric haircuts were first popular with women in the 1980s but, by the mid 2000s, these types of styles started to become popular styles among men.

Asymmetric hairstyles are what we call casual hairstyles as the hair can be styled in a myriad of ways, yet the asymmetry still remains no matter the styling pattern. Asymmetric hairstyles tend to focus on the hair asymmetry of the left and right sides of the head when looked from the front. Thus, the hair on the left side of the head will be different in hair length and styling pattern from the hair on the right side of the head. The hair on the top of the head is the one that is usually cut and styled asymmetrically, while the hair on the lower sides and back of the head is usually cut or clipped evenly with an Undercut, layered cut or taper cut.

Pictures of asymmetric hairstyles

Since the asymmetric hairstyles only require your creativity, they styles don't follow any particular styling method. You just simply use a good hair wax (like this one) for shaping, a good hair gel (like this one) for molding, or a good styling cream (like this one) for defining the asymmetric chaos of your hair. These 3 aforementioned products (wax, gel and styling cream) and their respective recommendations with these posted links are the best products you can get and the ones that will help you with styling your hair like in all the pictures below Smile

[Image: 59612c6d94307b9cd020ea010269df1c.jpg]

[Image: hVSmrg7.jpg]

[Image: 86b8df6c063ba57aa08457981ff4b0f6.jpg]

[Image: no068aT.jpg]

[Image: f5d498c7b5c9696125213ea3e81b4ad5.jpg]

[Image: mbEDvLs.jpg]

[Image: McAnpYL.jpg]

[Image: 155bfa9ee47b4813b758307536b6157f.jpg]

[Image: S4LbKrX.jpg]

[Image: 917e299eea70ac4a3ccee2e1770ce33f.jpg]

[Image: XAlbLGn.jpg]

[Image: vn5aHms.jpg]

[Image: e00f2970e543731d585d1a5b0d5c3c80.jpg]

[Image: xGskEg0.jpg]

[Image: 803347cfd5bbc72b510c84843b2ff90f.jpg]

[Image: bj5zcfI.jpg]

[Image: 25d48e488a913b0d98c9721556d4ff1f.jpg]

THIS STYLING GUIDE CONTINUES BELOW

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2014, 11:08 AM
RE: Asymmetric Hairstyles for Men - Guide with Style Pictures and Advice
How to get an asymmetric hairstyle

The trick to owning the best asymmetric hairstyle for men that you can possibly own is in the haircut. The haircut for an asymmetric hairstyle is chaotic although the chaos is created with care and precision, using both shears and a good hair clipper). Thus it is best that you get your asymmetric haircut done in a hair salon, especially a hair salon that is modern and that is unisex (or even one that specialize in womens haircuts). Modern hair salons are the best places to get modern haircuts like the asymmetric ones for men.

Having said the above, when it comes to an asymmetric haircut, you may retouch your hair after you get your first haircut. In fact, it is very easy to retouch and further detail your asymmetric haircut since it is hairstyling chaos that you are after. Since it is very easy to cut your own asymmetric hair, it is always a great idea to own a good set of shears (aka barber/hair-cutting scissors) that include a texturizing shear (like this excellent set of 3 shears). Likewise, it is important to always own a high-quality hair clipper as a clipper will allow you to buzz and shape your hair in lots of ways, including in lots of asymmetric ways. For a high-quality hair clipper, we absolutely recommend in this forum this cordless hair clipper which comes with everything so you don't have to worry about buying anything else.

How to style an asymmetric mens hairstyle

For styling an asymmetric mens hairstyle, anything goes. You are free to do your hairstyling however you want, although asymmetric hairstyles tend to emphasize messy hair as part of creating the aforementioned chaos. Likewise, try to emphasize the asymmetry between the sides of your head when looked from the front so that the hair is different on each side of the head.

Without a doubt, the best hair products for asymmetric hairstyles are hair wax, hair gel and a styling cream. These aforementioned mens hair products will work to shape, define and mold your hair's asymmetry, and you should go with the specific recommended products in the links I posted earlier in this guide.

Lastly, an excellent styling tool that will enhance your asymmetry is a hair dryer. Here at Men's Hair Forum we encourage every male interested in his hairstyling to own a good hair dryer. A good hair dryer will allow you to further shape your hair and to achieve as much hair volume as you want, so a hair dryer will not only be handy for an asymmetric hairstyle but it will also come in handy for many other mens hairstyles. Out of all available hair dryers for men, we highly recommend this premium hair dryer that will help define and shape your hair, will add gloss to the hair, will fight any frizz you suffer from and will not damage the hair (unlike generic and cheap hair dryers). This premium hair dryer is the perfect addition for really enhancing the asymmetry you create!

Any questions, input, comments, opinions? Feel free to post them as add-ons to this guide Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-21-2014, 02:45 PM
I was looking forward to this kind of hairstyle guide Mr. Admin! Cool Super informative like always.
One thing I like about these styles is how you can get really creative & how you can really make the hair of the sides of the head so different & still get a good aesthetic result. Well that is the awesome thing of hair as we all know it in this forum & that is that you can shape it in bazillions of ways to fit your mood or your personality or the setting you will be in - like for example, work or nightclub?

I was digging sum pictures of Matt Bomer for my Matt Bomer hairstyles & haircuts guide when I saw a rare set of pictures of Channing Tatum's hair.
Now we already have our Channing Tatum hairstyles & haircuts discussion thread but I came across a really interesting set of pictures of Channing Tatum's hair with a pseudo asymmetric fringe haircut! the style is a side fringe with a very long fringe cut in a way where it gains all its length when combed from right to length. It does look like an asymmetric haircut by itself but it could well be balanced on the other side of the head. Certainly the fringe as a whole look is asymmetric & looks neat. Great styling option by Tatum!

We are used to seeing Channing Tatum with buzz cuts & military haircuts - click the link to the guide above if interested - so seeing him with this modern faux haircut & style was something 'interesting' Smile Picture of Channing Tatum's asymmetric hairstyle fringe is below - it kinda looks like the EMO fringe Lol

[Image: ryan-kwanten-matt-bomer-gq-men-of-the-ye...rds-02.jpg]

[Image: ryan-kwanten-matt-bomer-gq-men-of-the-ye...rds-08.jpg]

[Image: ryan-kwanten-matt-bomer-gq-men-of-the-ye...rds-11.jpg]
05-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Who do you guys think does a better asymmetric haircut, a barber or a hairstylist at a hair salon? btw I am talking of mens haircuts.
05-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Ricki Hall haircut

Male model Ricki Hall is not only known for his beard but also for his hair. In the case of Ricki Hall's hair and haircut, the haircut remains asymmetric on the forelock (i.e. front) to recreate a cool side fringe. Ricki Hall's haircut is otherwise even and only asymmetric at the front while the hairstyling itself is what gives the overall asymmetric shape.

[Image: tumblr_mpm9md9YNh1qglar7o1_500.jpg]

[Image: model-ricki.jpg]

[Image: 753bbdbf79cb692611d136b07d263100.jpg]

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

07-19-2014, 08:05 AM
I think I've been doing this all wrong. I have a round face (which asymmetry caters to), but Ive always been inspired by smooth slicked to the side hair styles that are classic. Maybe these are accentuating my face shape? Can asymmetry be thrown into a cut/style like the one I've described? great post!
07-21-2014, 09:58 AM
(07-19-2014 08:05 AM)udm1192 Wrote:  I think I've been doing this all wrong. I have a round face (which asymmetry caters to), but Ive always been inspired by smooth slicked to the side hair styles that are classic. Maybe these are accentuating my face shape? Can asymmetry be thrown into a cut/style like the one I've described? great post!

Yes of course. A slicked asymmetric hairstyle is common with hipsters. Ricki Hall is a good hipster example of using slicked & swept hairstyles with asymmetric haircuts.
Round faces are fine with asymmetric cuts, however make sure that you have a good taper cut on the sides of your head. You can create lots of asymmetry on the top of your head but be careful with the laterals - keep them with a smooth taper to cushion your face shape aesthetics.
08-05-2014, 09:36 PM
(07-21-2014 09:58 AM)Jurgen Wrote:  d

This ricki guy is awesome. How does he get so much texture in that hair? Also, how does one grow into an asymettrical doo? Im going to keep an undercut for about a year and perpetually not cut the top length?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need Some Advice Camden 0 72 11-25-2016 06:15 PM
Last Post: Camden
  New style wanted Snow23 0 174 10-24-2016 07:54 PM
Last Post: Snow23
  Best tall men hairstyles and haircuts for great aesthetics A Tall Guy 1 251 10-20-2016 11:17 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Frohawk hairstyle and haircut: How to, Pictures TheMensHairForum 10 21,050 10-10-2016 08:45 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum