Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asian Hair and Classic Slicked Back Undercut Hairstyle
09-28-2015, 12:12 PM
Asian Hair and Classic Slicked Back Undercut Hairstyle
I'm looking for advice on how to style Asian hair into a classic slicked back undercut. Be warned, my Asian hair is especially thick and bristly, more so than the average Asian's hair and it has caused some issues with my past barbers. My current barber has done a good job so far with styling my hair, however, he's unable to fully style it into a slick back undercut.

What I want to go for is a style modeled after Jake Gyllenhaal's style in Prisoners. However, the issue with my hair is that it tends to stick out until it reaches ~2.5 inches, at which it begins to curve over. I'm not sure how a 2-step undercut would work with my hair unless I got it permed or something. Any advice would be much appreciated.

For example, here are the pictures of my hair currently (recently cut):

[Image: p85273y.png]

[Image: b8mUmq3.png]

[Image: b8mUmq3.png]

[Image: 8offoe4.png]

Problem Areas of my latest haircut:

[Image: 6SuUkZM.png]

If you look closely at the top left picture, there's sort of a disconnect, where the right parting doesn't fall down all the way to meet the back. If you look at the top right, you'll notice that how the back is cut is somewhat asymmetric, the length gets longer as you get closer towards the left. And on the bottom left picture, it looks as though the back itself is also cut unevenly... And as for the bottom right, this is ideally how I want the right to also taper to the back (this would be perfect).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2015, 10:03 AM
The best solutions for Asian men's hair are to grow it longer and use a good pomade!
Your issue is a common one with Asian males, who typically have thick, coarse straight hair. The thicker the hair is, the less malleable it is at short lengths. The best solution to tame and slick thick straight hair? To grow your hair longer.

If you want to sport Jake Gyllenhaal's slicked back Undercut, you will need longer hair. The optimal length range for slicked back hair (including its Undercut variant) is 4 to 6 inches. Once your hair is at that length range, it becomes more malleable and thus easier to style. If you browse around the forum, you will read many cases of Asian guys who have their straight thick hair sticking up at short lengths. This is because their hair strands are thicker than average and provide more resistance against any styling attempts. Ergo, the only solution to avoid the "brushed" look is to grow the hair longer.

Do also make sure that you're using a good pomade to slick back your hair. Men with thick straight hair do better with an oil-based pomade (with or without petrolatum). The newer water-based pomades don't work as well for thick hair if you want the classic slick back with the hair flattened and secured tight in a backward direction and without any loose locks.

See in the following link these two oil-based styling pomades that I've listed as one has petrolatum and the other doesn't. The petrolatum pomade (Black & White) is for the classic "greaser" look with lots of shine. The holding strength of this pomade is very good and it's the same pomade (and brand) that guys like Elvis Presley used to slick their hair back into a Pompadour hairstyle with all that mega shine of the Pompadours in the 1960s.

On the other hand, the other oil-based pomade (Bees Knees) out of those 2 pomades above has no petrolatum and gives a greasier-looking "look" but still behaves very nicely as a good-hold oil pomade that will keep your hair slicked back and secure with a nice dose of shininess. It provides a drier look and texture (great for a classic and elegant slicked back style), while the previous pomade (Black & White) provides a wetter look.

Back in the day, the cheaper and greasier pomades were those made out of petrolatum, while those pomades with no petrolatum were the higher-end pomades (as is the Bees Knees' pomade).

If you still want to go with a good water-based pomade instead of any of those 2 oil-based pomades, then I suggest that you read this review of a great water-based pomade from Layrite as that particular pomade in the review (the Deluxe version) is an emulation of the classic oil-based pomades with a high shine and with good holding strength.

Overall, the main advice is to grow your hair to a length ranging between 4 to 6 inches (preferably 6 inches) and to use a good oil-based pomade (or a good water-based pomade that has the same benefits of the older oil-based pomades).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-29-2015, 07:23 PM
RE: Asian Hair and Classic Slicked Back Undercut Hairstyle
TMHF, could you please enable my account to post images?

I have the exact same hair as the OP. I have also tried this undercut style a few months ago (though with different products than what TMHF mentioned) without much success.

Was going to create a new thread, but since TMHF already answered most of my original questions, I’d thought it’ll be a good idea to continue this thread.

I have found that with this hair type, it’s very difficult to manage an undercut like this.

The reason is that the hair won’t slick backwards in a centered way, even with 5+ inches. The hair is not “relaxed” as you mentioned, and it turns into a heavy glob of hair that moves itself like the force of a spring. It eventually falls to one side (its natural direction). Or both sides (center-part), even if you try to center it using an extremely strong wax or pomade.

Thought it would be better when the top got longer. I ended up growing the top to 9-10 inches (right now). It didn’t get that much better either.

(09-29-2015 10:03 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  If you want to sport Jake Gyllenhaal's slicked back Undercut, you will need longer hair. The optimal length range for slicked back hair (including its Undercut variant) is 4 to 6 inches.

Assuming 4-6 inches is for just the top since this is an undercut? Or the entire head of hair, including sides & back as well?

The issue with short sides & back is that the top hair doesn't seem to blend nicely, since the shorter hairs stick straight out and the longer hair falls flat
09-30-2015, 01:45 PM
An Undercut haircut can always be faded slightly or you may consider a contour cut.
(09-29-2015 07:23 PM)Hairs Wrote:  Assuming 4-6 inches is for just the top since this is an undercut? Or the entire head of hair, including sides & back as well?

The issue with short sides & back is that the top hair doesn't seem to blend nicely, since the shorter hairs stick straight out and the longer hair falls flat.

I've upgraded your account so that you can pictures, but please start a new thread outlining your issues so as to not derail this thread, even if your issue is very similar (which I can imagine that it is by your description). To the forum member who started this thread (XXiiViiXX), I've also upgraded your account in case that you may want to add any further pictures.

Yes, the 4 to 6 inches of hair length is only on the top of the head as the sides and back of the head is buzzed short in an Undercut. Even with 6 inches of hair length, I've seen cases of men, in particular Asian males, whose hair just won't lay flat in a slicked back style. This is mainly due to a high density of hair strands in the scalp, which, as much of a downside it may look as, it's actually a blessing in disguise. In such cases, the only solution is to grow the hair even longer (add 2 to 3 more inches of hair length) and use a strong-holding pomade as mentioned in my previous reply.

Nowadays the use of water-based pomades like the Layrite pomade that I mentioned earlier is very common. However, the oil-based pomades are heavier and will not just help you to slick and glue your hair back but such pomades will also weigh the hair down. It goes without saying that, to get the most out of a slicked back hairstyle with thick dense hair, one must slick his hair back with his hair wet and not damp.

The best state to style one's own hair is when the hair is damp, so not dry nor wet. However, in cases like yours, you must have your hair close to dripping wet and then slick the hair back with a comb and with your chosen oil-based pomade. This s a similar styling method used to slick back curly hair in a classic style.

As for the sharp edges of the Undercut, you can always tell your barber to smooth the edge of the Undercut. A textbook Undercut haircut doesn't include any smoothing or fading; an Undercut is a hairstyle foundation, but it can surely be adapted to ones own taste, so don't be put off from asking your barber to smooth or fade the sharp edge of your Undercut if you don't like the sharpness of the Undercut haircut.

If you see that the Undercut is too sharp for you, you can always go with an Executive contour haircut which tapers the hair at the edge and then does an Undercut. The executive contour haircut (also known as a mid-contour haircut) is a trendy haircut nowadays and will continue to be a trendy haircut in 2016, especially among the hipster community and among trendsetters.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is my face shape and how do I choose my hairstyle? gamershawk 0 86 11-16-2016 06:46 AM
Last Post: gamershawk
  Hairstyle advice for dry short straight hair with round face shape overprotected 4 233 10-28-2016 02:24 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  How to shape 2 Step Undercut Hairstyle with thick hair products Ruadhri 0 142 10-24-2016 01:52 PM
Last Post: Ruadhri
  How to style hair in brush up hairstyle? Picture illustration Wongford 0 172 10-04-2016 06:41 AM
Last Post: Wongford