Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As someone with thick hair...
06-18-2013, 05:27 AM
As someone with thick hair...
Hey, all! I have straight, black, thick, East-Asian hair, but I REALLY like this hairstyle. I think it matches my boyish face. I also prefer waxy, relaxed hairstyles; nothing that stands up, spiky otherwise. Is it possible after a perm? Any suggestions on what to tell my stylist and also how to style it?

[Image: andymientushair]

[Image: 1.161681.jpg]

[Image: Smash+Andy+Mientus.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2013, 05:45 PM
RE: As someone with thick hair...
Welcome to the forum dsowner!

That hairstyle you posted will fit a boyish face for sure as it's very young looking. Can you post a picture of your hair? (upload it to photobucket). Only problem of bone straight Asian hair is that at the length of the hair in the picture it tends to hang down all the way down instead of hold up (like in the posted pictures). If you wanted to perm your hair, a very loose wave shape would do just fine together with an Undercut that doesn't leave the edges too sharp (get the faded). The haircut is very easy to do by any hairdresser.

Let know if you can post a pic of your hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Here they are. Sorry for the low quality.

[Image: mefront_zpseba69225.jpg]

[Image: meside_zpsf4307afe.jpg]
06-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Don't worry I can see your hair, it is thick like you say, but like most Asian hair it lacks volume (which is easily fixed with some hair mousse and hair dryer). You hair has some bend to it so I think you really can get away with it naturally for the hairstyle you posted. I thought your hair would be bone straight which makes securing the hair at medium lengths a problem. However I think your hair is good to go for the hairstyle (front bangs it's called).

I suggest you do this:

- Print the pictures and take them with you to the hairdresser. If you cant print them, take the laptop with you.
- Ask for the haircut: it is a simple bowl cut aka Undercut. Make sure your hair only reaches the eyebrows when pulled forward.
- Then, with the hairdresser next to you, style your hair forward with the fingers ONLY, that's how you achieve the look. Grab some pomade or wax your hairdresser has in the shop.
- If you dont like how your hair (naturally) looks with the bangs, then ask the hairdresser about curling your hair a little (perm it). Dont go nuts, a slight wave will do.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks! Really great ideas.
06-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Will you be able to take the pictures with you to the hairdresser? Like TMHF said the hairstyle is easy to do and your hair is not 100% straight which helps in keeping the flat do (fringe) on the forehead. A little bit of pomade will do and you can blow dry the hair a bit for more volume.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
08-21-2013, 06:01 AM
Hi I'm new here. Basically i've had the same haircut and hairstyle for ages and I'm bored of it and i think it is too plain. I don't know what style to get it cut in as I'm no expert and you guys probably are (well you will at least have more experience or knowledge than me).

I've attached photos of my face. I've attached 3 different files - 1 file should have me with short hair (i.e 1 minute after I had it cut), one with medium length (about 3 weeks after a cut), and one with longer hair (5/6 weeks without a cut)

My hair is:
[Image: iefafl.jpg]
08-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Hijacking a thread ain't cool, bro.
09-13-2014, 02:18 PM
thick hair can be a pain idd.
09-27-2014, 12:52 AM
You can get a partial perm/wave on top with.....I would use purple rods the hair must wrap fully round a perm rod 3 times+ for proper chemical wave. The curl/wave will be a bit tighter @ first than the pic but it loosens up with time so its better to do it a bit tighter than the desired wave.You can also blow dry it using your hand to pull the hair flatter in desired direction @ first to better match the pic. Hair will curl up more when wet & left to naturally air dry but the perm will soften up your hair making it easier to manipulate style wise.

Looks like you would have to go just as short or shorter fade on back + sides & follow the round of the head @ top sides as Asian hair sticks out so much its gotta be the magic length where it lays down or super short not tapered out too much @ top sides to not look triangular.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hair Too Straight and Thick! Want Natural Combover Hairstyle StraightHairProblems 0 386 09-06-2016 03:15 AM
Last Post: StraightHairProblems
  Thick & Dense hair, need fashion advice Manbearpig 0 383 05-09-2016 07:36 AM
Last Post: Manbearpig
  Problem With Straight,Thick Black Hair Sertinjo 0 854 03-20-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Straight, thick, black hair virtualmonger 0 645 03-15-2016 05:44 PM
Last Post: virtualmonger