Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are haircuts needed when growing hair long? Trimming or Thinning
04-01-2015, 02:12 PM
Are haircuts needed when growing hair long? Trimming or Thinning
I was reading some great advice in the forum about thinning out hair, and it came to my mind if there's any need to get haircuts when growing hair long. I'm talking of the actual journey to your length destination and not once you've reached the length you wanted.

So if you're a guy with hair that's two inches long and you just wanted to grow your hair to five inches long, would not it be counterproductive to get a haircut as you will be cutting weeks or even months of hair growth? So you would be taking two steps forward and one step back.

I've always heard how if you have thick hair you need to get your hair thinned every so and so weeks. But thinning out is trimming length from the hair which would be the opposite of what you would want if growing your hair long. Right?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2015, 09:35 PM
RE: Are haircuts needed when growing hair long? Trimming or Thinning
(04-01-2015 02:12 PM)US Asian Wrote:  I was reading some great advice in the forum about thinning out hair, and it came to my mind if there's any need to get haircuts when growing hair long. I'm talking of the actual journey to your length destination and not once you've reached the length you wanted.

So if you're a guy with hair that's two inches long and you just wanted to grow your hair to five inches long, would not it be counterproductive to get a haircut as you will be cutting weeks or even months of hair growth? So you would be taking two steps forward and one step back.

I've always heard how if you have thick hair you need to get your hair thinned every so and so weeks. But thinning out is trimming length from the hair which would be the opposite of what you would want if growing your hair long. Right?

No they aren't and people on this forum have recommended I just stay away from the barber until I get to my length. If you are growing out hair don't thin it/ trim it just let it all go. It can't start to become a mess but thats where products come in handy. Just don't get a haircut at all and once it gets to the length you want then you can thin it out if you want but its not even usually needed because once your hair is long enough, it starts to sit down by itself.
04-02-2015, 05:32 AM
Ah right that makes sense then! Thanks bro you guys have made this forum the best place to learn about mens hair. Shame I discovered it so late.

When I learned that thinning out hair is basically trimming it I was skeptical of it for growing hair long. It's just that my hairdresser says I need it even if I want to grow my hair longer. I'm beginning to think he's just wanting to get some extra bucks from me since he would be trimming the same length I am wanting to grow.

Would you know at what length does straight hair sit down? Or at what length did your hair sit down? Thanks again for the help bro!
04-02-2015, 02:52 PM
(04-02-2015 05:32 AM)US Asian Wrote:  Ah right that makes sense then! Thanks bro you guys have made this forum the best place to learn about mens hair. Shame I discovered it so late.

When I learned that thinning out hair is basically trimming it I was skeptical of it for growing hair long. It's just that my hairdresser says I need it even if I want to grow my hair longer. I'm beginning to think he's just wanting to get some extra bucks from me since he would be trimming the same length I am wanting to grow.

Would you know at what length does straight hair sit down? Or at what length did your hair sit down? Thanks again for the help bro!

Everyone on this forum says u need at least 6 inches for it to sit down. Hair grows half a inch per month. So you are basically looking at least a year to get to 6 inches. It can also depend on how fast or slow your hair grows but for the most part it will take a year.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing ponytail important question! Patriots1995 0 63 11-27-2016 02:25 AM
Last Post: Patriots1995
  New hairstyle for straight hair - Quiff or long hairstyles? Wayne Baskin 0 279 09-23-2016 09:22 AM
Last Post: Wayne Baskin
  Hair falling out while growing long hair with seborrhoeic dermatitis? AwesomeHair 1 170 09-11-2016 01:24 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  New to growing long hair!!!!!!! Please help WeepingWillow 0 404 04-11-2016 01:34 PM
Last Post: WeepingWillow