Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone Looking To Grow Their Wavy Hair Long?
11-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Anyone Looking To Grow Their Wavy Hair Long?
I went from bald in April to 4+ inches of growth at this point. I've got wavy hair that borderlines coiled in the back and plan to grow it to shoulders and past. This is going to take quite a bit of time, probably a couple of years.

Is there anyone else here with wavy/coiled hair that is looking to grow it out long? I'd be interested in hearing about your journey and where you are in it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2014, 07:06 AM
RE: Anyone Looking To Grow Their Wavy Hair Long?
I was hoping to find some others starting a long hair journey to share experiences with. Perhaps someone will come along at some point.

I'm another month into it and have gained another 1/2" or so. My initial goal was to go 6 months without a haircut and I hit that milestone in November. Now I'm shooting for 12 months.

My hair has gotten long enough that I can pretty much keep the sides pulled behind the ears when I want to. On work days I've been adding a little Groom & Clean to keep it manageable and just comb it back in the morning and finger comb it throughout the day to keep it back. The bangs are getting long enough that their weight causes them to drop quite frequently but it doesn't look too bad so I'm good with it. On my days off I try not to use anything but a leave-in conditioner.

The back is quite curly and doesn't show growth that well. I'm really looking forward to when it will hang down from its own weight and show some of the length it does when wet.
01-11-2015, 07:00 AM
Hey mate,

I'm on the same boat also looking to grow my wavy hair. But I have some really unruly and coarse thick hair which makes it impossible to manage. So I had my barber layer cut it from the top and sides so that I can make it look neat.

I am at 4 months growth now (with 3 visits to the barber to layer) and my hair is at 2 inches at its longest. I am concerned however at how it will look long and layered.

Would appreciate it if you can show me your growth so far through photos.
02-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Wassup brotha,

I went from a low taper fade to growing my hair out to at least 3-4 inches in length. I started my process around November of last year and here I am in February of 2015. I hope to see to more growth by spring and alot more by the end of the summer. I've just grown tired of wearing ceasars and long for something different. When it grows to an acceptable length for me, then I'll figure out what I want to do with it.
08-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Did you have any luck with help on this issue? My hair is going way out of control
I'm new to this forum, and I can't do much here, I don't know how to get help Tongue I can't even post my original post here...
09-03-2015, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 07:30 AM by bobby.)
Im 15 years old and trying to impress this girl. She said I would look better with longer hair. I have thick, coarse, and super uncontrollable wavy hair. It is about 2 inches. When I try to grow my wavy hair out, it starts to get bigger like an afro (by the way, I am white) and is very resistant to styling. Now that it is more moisturized it has gotten a lot flatter and easier to style.

If I grow it out, will it eventually drop down to my shoulders instead of going up and getting puffier? I want it to look like Matthew Gray Gubler when he had long hair.
09-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Well count me in too although I have kinky curly hair. From my experience as a barber, most wavy-haired guys give up before their wavy hair reaches their shoulder. The outcome is even worse for coiled-haired guys. It's a shame because wavy hair looks really good when it reaches or touches the shoulders. A shoulder length is about twelve inches of hair length, which is about two years of growing your hair from a buzz cut.

This thread was started eight months ago so it would be interesting to know if those of you who were growing your wavy curls are still doing so. If you have up and got a haircut, could you mention the reason for doing so? I've heard all kind of reasons or more like excuses for cutting long wavy hair, but if you stick through the awkward stage of hair growth you will then be rewarded with a stunning wavy mane.

(09-03-2015 07:27 AM)bobby Wrote:  If I grow it out, will it eventually drop down to my shoulders instead of going up and getting puffier? I want it to look like Matthew Gray Gubler when he had long hair.

I saw your other thread and I want to reply to it but as a quick reply to your question here: wavy hair needs at least six inches of length to hang down fully. It will also depend on how thick your hair is and if you have a lot of hair, also known as a high hair density. Six inches is the bare minimum of hair length to get the wavy hair to drop down, but I would be more conservative and shoot for eight inches of hair length before getting your hopes up.

Don't dispair as eight inches of hair length can easily be achieved in less than a year if you started growing your hair from anything other than a buzz-cut hairstyle.
09-03-2015, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 10:06 AM by bobby.)
(09-03-2015 09:29 AM)Panther Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 07:27 AM)bobby Wrote:  If I grow it out, will it eventually drop down to my shoulders instead of going up and getting puffier? I want it to look like Matthew Gray Gubler when he had long hair.

I saw your other thread and I want to reply to it but as a quick reply to your question here: wavy hair needs at least six inches of length to hang down fully. It will also depend on how thick your hair is and if you have a lot of hair, also known as a high hair density. Six inches is the bare minimum of hair length to get the wavy hair to drop down, but I would be more conservative and shoot for eight inches of hair length before getting your hopes up.

Don't dispair as eight inches of hair length can easily be achieved in less than a year if you started growing your hair from anything other than a buzz-cut hairstyle.

Thanks! Should I send a picture of my hair now? Is there anything to make it grow faster? Does it matter if my sides and back of the head are shaved shorter than the top? Plus I am going for Matthew Gray Gubler's hairstyle when it was longer (I can't believe that I am growing my hair out for a girl lol).
11-30-2015, 08:27 PM
I shaved my head last year Decemner 10th. I have had one cut/partial foil in April and a trim in August. Growing your hair out takes FOREVER lol I am finally getting out of the awful awkward stage. I call my hair Harry Potter hair because No Matter what I do 10 minutes after styling my hair just does what it wants and goes crazy. The irony is I am a professional hair stylist of five years. I can do wonders on other folks but my hair doesnt do much. Other stylist have tried many times and failed. I decided to go for the Man Bun lookSmile Atleast it will stay lol

One more year and I should be at 12inches! This blog is great, I get harped on all the time to cut my hair. Its cool to see I am not alone

Best of Luck Guys
12-09-2015, 04:24 PM
I was in the Navy up until March 2015 and had fairly short 2-4" hair tapered to skin on the sides. My hair is about 6" now, but I want to get it to shoulder length.

I did learn a couple things that might help others with fairly thick wavy-curly hair that tends to frizz. Take these with a grain of salt because everyone has different hair and different people will find that different things work better for them. Also, these are really good tips to follow if your hair is damaged and you need to bring it back to a relatively healthy level. You don't need to follow everything to the T obviously.
1.) Touch your hair as little as possible throughout the day. You don't want to damage the protective acidic layer on your hair.
2.) Don't use alcohol based conditioners if your hair tends to frizz. The alcohol will damage the acidic layer on your hair.
3.) You can somewhat restore the acidic layer on your hair by replacing your conditioner with about 1-2tbsp apple cider vinegar in 8-16oz water. Leave in hair for about 2min and if you really want to use a conditioner afterwards, make sure it's not alcohol based.
4.) Do not comb your hair while soaked and if you do, use a very wide comb. (I only comb my hair once every few days and use my fingers instead otherwise)
5.) There is a sweet spot of dampness that it's best to style hair when you're hair is curly or wavy. Straight haired people don't really have to worry about this as much, but you don't want to style your hair completely dry because it will just cause more frizz. DO NOT COMB YOUR HAIR WHILE DRY. It will literally just make your hair into a fro. (unless you want to load down your hair with product)
6.) If you're like me and want to have as little product in your hair as possible, just find that dampness sweet spot and add a few drops of oil to your palm and massage it into the hair gently.
7.) Wash your hair as little as possible with soap. At most wash it every 2 days, but if you can get away without washing it for more days, do it. I'm not saying don't shower. You can shower, get your hair wet, even add conditioner, but do not let soap touch your hair.
8.) Hats are only safe if your hair is healthy, has a good acidic layer and some oil. If any of these things aren't true, hats can just further damage your hair.
9.) Do not towel dry hair by rubbing. If you want to dry your hair with a towel, do it with careful patting/pressure. The rubbing will bring forth damaging friction that will, again, cause frizzy-ness. Air drying is generally the best.
10.) Money can generally affect how successful you are. There are many hair products that work like miracles. If you do decide to drop money on hair product, do as much research as possible before hand. Hairstylists get paid to sell you rats, regardless if it relevant to your hair needs. Not saying all hairstylists are guilty of this, but you are always vulnerable to the ones that do if you don't do your research.
12-09-2015, 04:33 PM
(12-09-2015 04:24 PM)RedShiftXIII Wrote:  I was in the Navy up until March 2015 and had fairly short 2-4" hair tapered to skin on the sides. My hair is about 6" now, but I want to get it to shoulder length.

I did learn a couple things that might help others with fairly thick wavy-curly hair that tends to frizz. Take these with a grain of salt because everyone has different hair and different people will find that different things work better for them. Also, these are really good tips to follow if your hair is damaged and you need to bring it back to a relatively healthy level. You don't need to follow everything to the T obviously.
1.) Touch your hair as little as possible throughout the day. You don't want to damage the protective acidic layer on your hair.
2.) Don't use alcohol based conditioners if your hair tends to frizz. The alcohol will damage the acidic layer on your hair.
3.) You can somewhat restore the acidic layer on your hair by replacing your conditioner with about 1-2tbsp apple cider vinegar in 8-16oz water. Leave in hair for about 2min and if you really want to use a conditioner afterwards, make sure it's not alcohol based.
4.) Do not comb your hair while soaked and if you do, use a very wide comb. (I only comb my hair once every few days and use my fingers instead otherwise)
5.) There is a sweet spot of dampness that it's best to style hair when you're hair is curly or wavy. Straight haired people don't really have to worry about this as much, but you don't want to style your hair completely dry because it will just cause more frizz. DO NOT COMB YOUR HAIR WHILE DRY. It will literally just make your hair into a fro. (unless you want to load down your hair with product)
6.) If you're like me and want to have as little product in your hair as possible, just find that dampness sweet spot and add a few drops of oil to your palm and massage it into the hair gently.
7.) Wash your hair as little as possible with soap. At most wash it every 2 days, but if you can get away without washing it for more days, do it. I'm not saying don't shower. You can shower, get your hair wet, even add conditioner, but do not let soap touch your hair.
8.) Hats are only safe if your hair is healthy, has a good acidic layer and some oil. If any of these things aren't true, hats can just further damage your hair.
9.) Do not towel dry hair by rubbing. If you want to dry your hair with a towel, do it with careful patting/pressure. The rubbing will bring forth damaging friction that will, again, cause frizzy-ness. Air drying is generally the best.
10.) Money can generally affect how successful you are. There are many hair products that work like miracles. If you do decide to drop money on hair product, do as much research as possible before hand. Hairstylists get paid to sell you rats, regardless if it relevant to your hair needs. Not saying all hairstylists are guilty of this, but you are always vulnerable to the ones that do if you don't do your research.

For some reason you can't say the four letter word that starts with "c" and ends with "p" because it filters it to saying "rats".
12-12-2015, 12:02 AM
Yup, I am trying to grow mine!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 13,699 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  How long to grow medium afro hairstyle for wavy hair? R.mendez099 1 442 07-30-2016 01:56 AM
Last Post: PrettyboiJ21
  Help for growing out wavy voluminous hair! M.R88 0 293 07-21-2016 03:26 AM
Last Post: M.R88
  Long Curly Hairstyles For Men Guide with Pictures Gallery TheMensHairForum 2 815 06-11-2016 11:39 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum