Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any tips on handling awkward stage of growing out Hair
03-02-2015, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 07:22 PM by shahrukhch1.)
Any tips on handling awkward stage of growing out Hair
I'm three months in growing my hair. I have finally hit the stage where my hair goes all over the place when I wake up. It is very hard to tame when I try and style it as well. any tips on how to make it smooth journey? how long does the award stage last? I have thick(dense), straight hair. any information would help!! Thanks guys. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2015, 10:48 AM
The awkward stage for straight hair usually ends by the 6 inches length mark.
It depends on how long you want to grow your hair, but usually the awkward stage for straight hair ends anywhere from 4 to 6 inches of length if you're growing your hair long so that it dangles/hangs down. Straight hair will hang down at 6 inches of length, especially if you use a hairstyling cream or forming cream. Unlike curly hair, straight hair has it the easiest to hang down and be shape-able.

How long do you want to grow your hair? The fact that you mention having thick hair may delay your awkward phase as thick hair or dense hair needs a longer length to begin to dangle on its own. Can you post any pictures of your current hair without product use and with product use (or at least without product use)?

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-04-2015, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2015 01:34 PM by shahrukhch1.)
RE: Any tips on handling awkward stage of growing out Hair
(03-04-2015 10:48 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  It depends on how long you want to grow your hair, but usually the awkward stage for straight hair ends anywhere from 4 to 6 inches of length if you're growing your hair long so that it dangles/hangs down. Straight hair will hang down at 6 inches of length, especially if you use a hairstyling cream or forming cream. Unlike curly hair, straight hair has it the easiest to hang down and be shape-able.

How long do you want to grow your hair? The fact that you mention having thick hair may delay your awkward phase as thick hair or dense hair needs a longer length to begin to dangle on its own. Can you post any pictures of your current hair without product use and with product use (or at least without product use)?

This is my hair without any product at all. this is how my dried hair looks.

[Image: j6is87.jpg]

[Image: 10dv4vd.jpg]

[Image: 214cf93.jpg]

[Image: 2qjy9uq.jpg]

[Image: 25ewoi0.jpg]

[Image: 35lvi3t.jpg]

[Image: 2irumog.jpg]

this is my hair with some styling cream in it.

[Image: ml7biq.jpg]
03-04-2015, 01:42 PM
(03-04-2015 10:48 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  It depends on how long you want to grow your hair, but usually the awkward stage for straight hair ends anywhere from 4 to 6 inches of length if you're growing your hair long so that it dangles/hangs down. Straight hair will hang down at 6 inches of length, especially if you use a hairstyling cream or forming cream. Unlike curly hair, straight hair has it the easiest to hang down and be shape-able.

I hope to get something like this. Do you think its possible for my hair?

[Image: 11w7ksx.jpg]

[Image: image.jpg]
03-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Perfect hair for a Pompadour hairstyle like the one of Zayn Malik!
(03-04-2015 01:42 PM)shahrukhch1 Wrote:  I hope to get something like this. Do you think its possible for my hair?

Absolutely!

You actually have the perfect hair type for that hairstyle. If you want to emulate that precise hairstyle of Zayn Malik (i.e. the Pompadour), then wait 1 or 2 more months for a little bit more length as you need an extra inch to get enough volume for the Pompadour, but you can certainly start practicing the Pompadour hair styling.

The pompadour is an easy hairstyle, but you just need a good strong-hold pomade, preferably a water-based one so as not to make too much of a mess. Have a look at the high-shine pomade that I recommended in my other reply to your other thread (THIS pomade here is the one I recommend) as that pomade is perfect for the type of hairstyle that you want.

You do indeed have thick, dense hair. Just as I was expecting, you have too much hair which is making your hair not fully hang down despite having straight hair. This is the only downside to having a lot of hair (dense and thick) as you do, but I can tell you many guys would envy such a head of hair.

As said, give yourself an extra month or two (better 2 months) to grow some more length to ensure you have everything to pull that Pompadour style of Zayn Malik. Do get the pomade now (get 2 tubs if your budget allows) and start slicking your hair back, then practicing on a Quiff and the Pompadour. They're very easy hairstyles once you gt the hang of it, but they take a bit of time to get the full groove. The Pompadour is one of the few hairstyles we haven't published a guide yet, but we will soon (although we have quite a number of threads discussing the Pompadour and Quiff). Start by going through our slicked back hair guide to get an idea of the two types of slick back styles, as the slick back is the foundation of the Pompadour hairstyle.

In any case, you can ask any questions concerning the Pompadour et al once you have the pomade and start practicing the slicking of your hair (or at any other time). You can also get the other styling wax from TIGI that I recommended in your other thread too (it's THIS styling wax) as this styling wax will allow you to style your hair like with the pomade I've recommended, only that the styling wax I've recommended will give you a matte non-shiny effect that will look more natural for your hair and similar to the hairstyle of Scott Disick that you were inquiring about in your referenced thread!

P.S. I fixed the link above for the styling wax as it was previously pointing to another hair spray from TIGI that we recommend Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-04-2015, 08:19 PM
(03-04-2015 02:09 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 01:42 PM)shahrukhch1 Wrote:  I hope to get something like this. Do you think its possible for my hair?

Absolutely!

You actually have the perfect hair type for that hairstyle. If you want to emulate that precise hairstyle of Zayn Malik (i.e. the Pompadour), then wait 1 or 2 more months for a little bit more length as you need an extra inch to get enough volume for the Pompadour, but you can certainly start practicing the Pompadour hair styling.

The pompadour is an easy hairstyle, but you just need a good strong-hold pomade, preferably a water-based one so as not to make too much of a mess. Have a look at the high-shine pomade that I recommended in my other reply to your other thread (THIS pomade here is the one I recommend) as that pomade is perfect for the type of hairstyle that you want.

You do indeed have thick, dense hair. Just as I was expecting, you have too much hair which is making your hair not fully hang down despite having straight hair. This is the only downside to having a lot of hair (dense and thick) as you do, but I can tell you many guys would envy such a head of hair.

As said, give yourself an extra month or two (better 2 months) to grow some more length to ensure you have everything to pull that Pompadour style of Zayn Malik. Do get the pomade now (get 2 tubs if your budget allows) and start slicking your hair back, then practicing on a Quiff and the Pompadour. They're very easy hairstyles once you gt the hang of it, but they take a bit of time to get the full groove. The Pompadour is one of the few hairstyles we haven't published a guide yet, but we will soon (although we have quite a number of threads discussing the Pompadour and Quiff). Start by going through our slicked back hair guide to get an idea of the two types of slick back styles, as the slick back is the foundation of the Pompadour hairstyle.

In any case, you can ask any questions concerning the Pompadour et al once you have the pomade and start practicing the slicking of your hair (or at any other time). You can also get the other styling wax from TIGI that I recommended in your other thread too (it's THIS styling wax) as this styling wax will allow you to style your hair like with the pomade I've recommended, only that the styling wax I've recommended will give you a matte non-shiny effect that will look more natural for your hair and similar to the hairstyle of Scott Disick that you were inquiring about in your referenced thread!

Ok. I click on the wax link but it keeps taking me to a hair spray link. I will start practicing to style my hair like that. and also what shampoo and conditioner would you recommend for me? I'm currently just using suave shampoo and garnier conditioner. Would it make a difference if I used a different shampoo or the WEN conditioner?
03-05-2015, 02:54 AM
Fixed the link in my previous reply.
Yes, I had posted by mistake the link to another hair spray from TIGI that we recommend.

I've fixed the link now (posted the correct one), so the link for the styling wax in my previous reply takes you to the recommended styling wax that many guys in the forum are using for hairstyles within the range that you want too Smile

That styling wax in the link as well as the pomade I recommended in the other link in my previous reply will suffice as products to start grooving the slicked back hairstyle, Quiff hairstyle and Pompadour hairstyle.

03-05-2015, 07:48 AM
(03-04-2015 08:19 PM)shahrukhch1 Wrote:  And also what shampoo and conditioner would you recommend for me? I'm currently just using suave shampoo and garnier conditioner. Would it make a difference if I used a different shampoo or the WEN conditioner?

Hi mate I'm not admin, but changing your shampoo and conditioner won't make a major difference. The Garnier conditioner isn't exactly top quality whereas the WEN conditioner is, so you can get your hair smoother and more lustrous with the WEN conditioner. But you can still keep the shampoo and conditioner you're currently using.

Also about the recommended wax and pomade from admin, yes those 2 products are great for pompadour hairstyles. Their products that are excellent for other mens hairstyles too.
03-05-2015, 12:02 PM
(03-05-2015 07:48 AM)Bradley Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 08:19 PM)shahrukhch1 Wrote:  And also what shampoo and conditioner would you recommend for me? I'm currently just using suave shampoo and garnier conditioner. Would it make a difference if I used a different shampoo or the WEN conditioner?

Hi mate I'm not admin, but changing your shampoo and conditioner won't make a major difference. The Garnier conditioner isn't exactly top quality whereas the WEN conditioner is, so you can get your hair smoother and more lustrous with the WEN conditioner. But you can still keep the shampoo and conditioner you're currently using.

Also about the recommended wax and pomade from admin, yes those 2 products are great for pompadour hairstyles. Their products that are excellent for other mens hairstyles too.

Thanks! I just wanted to know before hand.
03-05-2015, 12:03 PM
(03-05-2015 02:54 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Yes, I had posted by mistake the link to another hair spray from TIGI that we recommend.

I've fixed the link now (posted the correct one), so the link for the styling wax in my previous reply takes you to the recommended styling wax that many guys in the forum are using for hairstyles within the range that you want too Smile

That styling wax in the link as well as the pomade I recommended in the other link in my previous reply will suffice as products to start grooving the slicked back hairstyle, Quiff hairstyle and Pompadour hairstyle.

I put the order in for both of them. I can't wait to use it. Is it better if the layrite superhold is put on damp hair or dry hair in my case?
03-05-2015, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 01:12 PM by Bradley.)
(03-05-2015 12:03 PM)shahrukhch1 Wrote:  I put the order in for both of them. I can't wait to use it. Is it better if the layrite superhold is put on damp hair or dry hair in my case?

Again, I'm not admin but he - like myself - recommends using Layrite and the styling wax he recommended earlier with damp hair. Not wet, just damp hair and not dripping water. Admin posted his view in this thread about styling hair on damp hair vs dry hair vs wet hair, his recommendation is to always try to use any mens hair styling products on damp hair. He went as far as to explain the reason for it too, the guy is like a mens hair wikipedia lol

If you're going to be purchasing the products now, have a look at the Agadir argan oil conditioner in the hair products thread - see the link. The WEN conditioner is really good and you showed interest in it, but if it's out of your budget and you want to get a top conditioner, try the Agadir argan oil conditioner in that thread, it's under best conditioners. It's a cheap enough conditioner to be worth a shot if just testing a new and better conditioner than the Garnier conditioner you're using.

Cheers!
03-06-2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks to both of you for your help. In the meantime I have Murrays superior hair dressing pomade at home that I can use right away but haven used. Is that a good pomade to use as well for me?

http://www.amazon.com/Murrays-Superior-D...005IUGT4I/
03-06-2015, 02:18 PM
I actually had my hair at that specific length not too long ago. I also had the same problem of not knowing what to do with it haha, but I simply used a couple products to sweep it to the side, almost like a mix between a side part/pomp. All you need is some type of forming cream to get the general shape, then either a high hold wax/clay or hairspray to make sure it doesn't move.
03-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Murray's pomade is a greasy pomade designed for rocker and greaser hairstyles.
(03-06-2015 09:33 AM)shahrukhch1 Wrote:  Thanks to both of you for your help. In the meantime I have Murrays superior hair dressing pomade at home that I can use right away but haven used. Is that a good pomade to use as well for me?

The problem with Murray's is that it's a very greasy pomade and any hairstyling experiments (as you will be doing) can soon turn into trouble. To reset your hair, you'll then have to shampoo it, which will be inconvenient while you getting the groove of styling those hairstyles we've talked about before that you want. It'd make more sense to use Murray's pomade once you have the hairstyling aspect of your goal hairstyles satisfied. Then you can make a decision as to whether Murray's pomade is a good pomade for you and superior to a pomade like Layrite's water-based pomade (very unlikely). Then again, these hair products aren't that expensive compared to other pomades, so you can get them all, whether you have them already like Murray's or you buy them like Layrite, and test them and go wild with them.

By all means, go ahead and use Murray's pomade while you wait for the other products to arrive, and start getting a feel for the hairstyles you want done. However, I'd suggest that you groove the hairstyling of your hair with something like Layrite as suggested in this thread. Once you have the hairstyling groove (i.e. you know how to style your hair into those hairstyles), then use Murray's pomade and test (even choose other pomades).

You can also keep us updated in your thread that you have in the blogging section, and we can give feedback on how the two pomades look or how the matte styling wax from TIGI looks if you also get that one.

03-23-2015, 11:16 PM
(03-07-2015 09:08 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 09:33 AM)shahrukhch1 Wrote:  Thanks to both of you for your help. In the meantime I have Murrays superior hair dressing pomade at home that I can use right away but haven used. Is that a good pomade to use as well for me?

The problem with Murray's is that it's a very greasy pomade and any hairstyling experiments (as you will be doing) can soon turn into trouble. To reset your hair, you'll then have to shampoo it, which will be inconvenient while you getting the groove of styling those hairstyles we've talked about before that you want. It'd make more sense to use Murray's pomade once you have the hairstyling aspect of your goal hairstyles satisfied. Then you can make a decision as to whether Murray's pomade is a good pomade for you and superior to a pomade like Layrite's water-based pomade (very unlikely). Then again, these hair products aren't that expensive compared to other pomades, so you can get them all, whether you have them already like Murray's or you buy them like Layrite, and test them and go wild with them.

By all means, go ahead and use Murray's pomade while you wait for the other products to arrive, and start getting a feel for the hairstyles you want done. However, I'd suggest that you groove the hairstyling of your hair with something like Layrite as suggested in this thread. Once you have the hairstyling groove (i.e. you know how to style your hair into those hairstyles), then use Murray's pomade and test (even choose other pomades).

You can also keep us updated in your thread that you have in the blogging section, and we can give feedback on how the two pomades look or how the matte styling wax from TIGI looks if you also get that one.

Hey!! I got the Layrite pomade and have put up some pictures of me "attempting" to style in my blog section. Do you think you can check it out and give your feedback on what I need to fix. thanks!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing hair help! spearsurf 1 212 10-06-2016 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  How to get better hair and hairstyles as a male - 5 easy tips The Hairstylist 0 251 10-03-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  Growing out undercut TenMess 0 635 05-29-2016 06:22 AM
Last Post: TenMess
  Growing Man Bun Hairstyle with Short Wavy Curly Hair and Puffy thickheadedandhaired 3 1,368 05-02-2016 04:24 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi