Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any thoughts on Reuzel pommade?
12-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Any thoughts on Reuzel pommade?
My barber sugested I try the pommade from a brand called Reuzel. The red kind. It's the stuff he uses (and sells, obviously) at his shop and I liked it when he applied it, especially the smell.

As for the stuff itself I sniffed around a bit and found out it is manufactured by the "Scumbag Barbers" from Roterdam, a cool bunch who helped start the whole vintage barbershop movement. This variety in particular is water based and on the reviews I've seen opinions vary between those who say it is very good and those who say it is pretty standard and became popular just because of the hype around the Scumbags.

What's your take on it? Is it worth it and a good option for me?

I have thin hair prone to fall and use either a contour or slick back hairstyles. I am also currently undegoing a treatment of Minoxidil + Ioox Fortrix to restore my hair.

Cheers and thanks for reading.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2017, 05:07 AM
RE: Any thoughts on Reuzel pommade?
From what I've seen a lot of reviews are pretty indifferent about the Reuzel pomades. There's been good things said about the green one however. The Scumbag Babers are highly respected though.

I'm trying to explore the whole pomade minefield myself and trying to discover the right type for mr hair and style I'm going for.
04-07-2017, 03:41 AM
Reuzel is so great
05-13-2017, 08:42 AM
I use red one. It gives thickness and makes my hair looks best as it could possibly without hold. I'd say hold is medium or even low, but I use it on somewhat damp hair. I really like it because of that natural look.
05-17-2017, 05:23 AM
I use the red one as well
11-04-2017, 03:54 AM
Since my initial post I have been using the stuff for a while so here goes my opinion:

I started with the red variety but it did not work very well for me. It's a great product, nice to apply, it's not too sticky, although it's water based it's definitely not like a gel as in it doesn't dry or flake, gives your hair a natural look and it has a great butterscotch-like smell. The reason it did not work for me is because my hair has a tendency to curl and gain a lot of volume. It looks great when I apply it and while my hair is still wet but then it does not keep the desired shape or definition.

So, my barber suggested I use the pink variety instead, which is extra-strong hold, and it's the best product I ever used. It's also water based but, and just like the red, it does not dry or flake and behaves just like a petroleum based wax. And when they say "extra-strong", they really mean it. It's a bit hard to apply because it's very firm and sticky but once you get it on your hair it has a very natural look, excellent flow (doesn't look "blocky" or "plastic") and in my case it was the only product capable of keeping my waves and volume in check all day long. My favourite part is the resistance to humidity and re-shape (or re-style) capacity. As I said it does not dry like a gel, it keeps a constant elasticity and has a great resistance to humidity. Let me give you an example, I groom every morning (wash my hair, apply the pomade on towel-dried hair and comb to style a contour hairstyle), use it during the day, spend two hours in the gym in the afternoon (sweat and some touch when I lie down on the floor or put my hands on my head) take a shower (without washing my head) and then I just have to comb it back in place and I'm ready to have dinner at a fancy restaurant. That's how good it is. Unless you put your head under a shower and wash it with shampoo, it resists absolutely everything. I have even used it for more than one day. A few times I ended up spending the night on a place other than my home and even after a night of sleep if I don't wash my hair and style it with a wet comb it goes back in place pretty decently. As far as smell goes although I prefer the red it has a nice smell which reminds me of bubble-gum.

So, to sum it up both the red and the pink are very good but I absolutely love the pink. It's the only product so far that can keep my hair looking good throughout the entire day, and night if needed.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------