Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
American Crew Fiber Pliable Molding
06-12-2013, 06:54 AM
American Crew Fiber Pliable Molding
I'm using pomade right now but seeing some different fibers too, anyone know the American Crew Fiber Pliable Molding (i think that's the name)? can i use this fiber instead of my pomade to style a pompadour?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 12:55 PM
RE: American Crew Fiber Pliable Molding
If you're talking about this American Crew fiber then yes, it's a good one, if you have short/medium hair straight/wavy you can get some good shaping going on for hairstyles.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-12-2013, 03:26 PM
is hair fiber the same as hair wax?
06-12-2013, 03:43 PM
The American Crew pliable molding fiber is a medium hold hairstyling fiber!
Anton, the American Crew fiber is a decent one if you want to shape up your hairstyles or do some shaggy styles for your hair. Take into account, though, that the American Crew fiber doesn't have a lot of holding strength; I would regard the American Crew molding fiber as a medium-hold wax and not a strong-hold wax.

Vladimir, yes, fiber is another name for hair wax. Usually a styling fiber is a wax with a strong hold and a medium-shine finish or a low-shine finish. However I have seen fiber being sold as something different to hair wax, as in sold as a pomade hybrid and even a forming cream hybrid. There's no textbook definition that all manufacturers follow; they just label their products and product ranges as they feel like (based on how catchy, different, exotic or cool the names sound).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-13-2013, 02:03 PM
it's good allright for straight short hair.
09-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I've used this fiber before, but I didn't find it to work too well in spiking up my faux hawk. Also, when applying it, I noticed a lot if my hair falling off. Not sure if I used it properly or maybe I didn't use it enough.

Anyways, I'm prob going to try the AC grooming cream next.
09-09-2013, 02:01 PM
(09-09-2013 01:52 PM)digitz Wrote:  I've used this fiber before, but I didn't find it to work too well in spiking up my faux hawk. Also, when applying it, I noticed a lot if my hair falling off. Not sure if I used it properly or maybe I didn't use it enough.

Anyways, I'm prob going to try the AC grooming cream next.

I prefer the Gatsby hair wax for faux hawk styling, for faux hawks you really need to use a hair wax product, it's the best hairstyling product for shaping and molding. We even recommend the Gatsby hair wax in our best hair products list, maybe try that one instead of moving to a American Crew's grooming cream?
Interesting effect of the hair loss but hair products dont cause hair loss, maybe you are pulling your hair too strong with a comb? do you show any signs of male pattern baldness like receding temples?
10-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Just started using the pomade. How much should I be using? like a dimes worth?
10-25-2013, 10:15 AM
(10-24-2013 05:03 PM)colink14110476 Wrote:  Just started using the pomade. How much should I be using? like a dimes worth?

I think the rule is 1 fingertip, then increase fingertips according to your hair length. Thats what I learned in the "Men's hair book" and it works good, I actually use 2 fingertips my hair is shortish-medium length. But yeah increase fingertips slowly, anyone pls correct me if wrong!
10-26-2013, 06:22 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2013 06:23 AM by Barber.)
(10-24-2013 05:03 PM)colink14110476 Wrote:  Just started using the pomade. How much should I be using? like a dimes worth?

(10-25-2013 10:15 AM)James Wrote:  

Hello mate, it's pretty much as stated by James below. Try a fingertip of pomade, the index finger, then add another fingertip. Pomade can make your hair look greasy fast so watch out for using too much pomade.

I think the rule is 1 fingertip, then increase fingertips according to your hair length. Thats what I learned in the "Men's hair book" and it works good, I actually use 2 fingertips my hair is shortish-medium length. But yeah increase fingertips slowly, anyone pls correct me if wrong!

Yep, this is a good tip for using pomade from Rogelio (men's hair book). Go fingertip by fingertip, the amount of pomade you need will vary according to hair length, hair type and your preference. Usually 2 fingertips are good for medium length hair, anything above 5 inches and its 3, but just go finger tip by fingertip for you pomade use.
Cheers

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
10-31-2013, 05:10 PM
So which is better American crew or gatsby for short thick hair ? Cheers
11-02-2013, 12:05 PM
(10-31-2013 05:10 PM)Aesthetix29 Wrote:  So which is better American crew or gatsby for short thick hair ? Cheers

Gatsby. Easier to manage as hair wax.
11-27-2013, 10:37 PM
I have Gatsby Spiky Edge and American Crew Fiber. I used to use Gatsby when I had short hair and now that I have medium hair, I have used Fiber as well.
12-13-2013, 02:42 PM
I've used both the fiber and the pomade before. The fiber was average. The hold was medium, but it barely let you mold your hair much. The pomade was worse. The hold was terrible, it barely lasted 3 or 4 hours. It did however let you mold your hair nicely.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  American Crew Pomade or American Crew fiber? which is best for hairstyles? JaimeSpain 3 44,398 04-13-2014 01:46 PM
Last Post: Machado