Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Afro Hairstyle for Men: How to, Advice, Products, Tips - Official Thread
04-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Afro Hairstyle for Men: How to, Advice, Products, Tips - Official Thread
This is our discussion guide on the Afro hairstyles, covering Afro hair care for men and styling products for the Afro. This guide will include pictures and tips and advice on grooming the Afro. You can provide input or ask questions.

This guide is filed under the Natural Hair section of our forum since the Afro is understood to be a natural hairstyle in that the curls are not straightened and benefit from an almost all-natural approach.

The Afro is typically as one of many black men hairstyles and the Afro version for white men is commonly known as a Jewfro, CurlFro or WhiteFro. Male celebrities that have, in the past, worn an Afro hairstyle include Patrick Ewing, Michael Jackson and Bill Withers, just to name 3 of many other men Smile

Pictures of the Afro hairstyle for men

Mens Afro hairstyles are somewhat rare but they are on the rise with the introduction of the bestseller book The Curly Hair Book. In the book, Rogelio (author of the book) teaches the reader how to manage his Afro for the best style that one can get, among many other curly hairstyles for men.

Having said the above, the Afro ha been a mens hairstyle that has been with us ever since the early 1970s, and we can find pictures of men with Afros from any decade going forward from the 1970s. There is also a smaller version of the Afro and that is the Teenie Weenie Afro (TWA) which is a simple short Afro.

[Image: 7d058b501473607a15118904a9289107.jpg]

[Image: fd89d407c331768f8f950b48fb89e7c3.jpg]

[Image: ea2e205124ba67b677840f95745c73f1.jpg]

[Image: lenny-kravitz12.jpg]

[Image: LennyKravitz-furdevil.jpg]

[Image: 471px-Lenny_Kravitz_cropped_2010.jpg]

[Image: lenny%20kravitz-saidaonline.jpg]

[Image: 98b9d9bc91c6305d728fd926a58997d3.jpg]

[Image: 1e1e72dd2f0a9e7c44a4e8eb5f7410d0.jpg]

[Image: 6bb1a22fc712e0b6dabee7049e6dc28c.jpg]

[Image: 255196-patrick-ewing-was-inducted-into-t...n-2008.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mdr6yqaNSs1qc9cilo1_500.jpg]

[Image: bill-and-marcia-wi_1692559c.jpg]

Hair products for the Afro hairstyle

The mens hair products for the Afro hairstyle are simple in nature, you will need shea butter or coconut butter to keep the kinks styles, a hair dryer to give volume (if needed) and a good hair pick. Other products you may use include a silicone free conditioner (if you want to add an "artificial" product) and a moisturizing shampoo.

Recommended products
Click each link below to learn more about the recommended product.
  • This coconut butter: simply melt the butter in your hands and apply it to the upper half of your kinks and coils. Do so after drying your hair but with your hair still damp. The goal of the coconut btuter is to keep your Afro moisturized and with gloss.
    |
  • This shea butter: shea butter is to be used as coconut butter, only that some people prefer coconut butter while other people prefer shea butter. I recommend that you buy both recommended products in the links and then experiment to see which one you prefer.
    |
  • This hair pick: this hair pick is an excellent choice that will treat your kinks with care.
    |
  • This hair dryer: the best hair dryer for curly hair. While most hair dryers will increase the frizz of your hair, this one will decrease it! It will also add definition and good shine to your Afro. Definitively worth its price.
    |
  • This silicone free conditioner: if you want to use a conditioner for your afro, then go with the silicone-free conditioner in the link. Use as a regular conditioner, you won't have to worry about your Afro losing volume because of your conditioner since the ingredients in the linked conditioner are easy to wash off and gentle on the hair.
    |
  • This moisturizing shampoo: every once in a while use this mild shampoo to clean your scalp and hair. Ideally, you should be using the shampoo and conditioner according to your optimal shampooing frequency as you will learn in the book, The Curly Hair Book.
    |
  • The Curly Hair Book: this book is the absolute bible for men with curly hair, including black men/men with kinky curly hair and men who want to have the best Afros! It will show everything about taking care of your precious kinks and coils as well as provide you plenty of inspiration to grow your 'fro!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2014, 01:09 PM
RE: Afro Hairstyle for Men: How to, Advice, Products, Tips - Official Thread
A couple more Afros, these pictures are of Trey Smith's Afro (yes, one of Will Smith's sons):

[Image: reg_1024.JadenWillTreySmith.mh.022013.jpg]

[Image: smith21f-1-web.jpg]

[Image: Trey-Smith.jpg]

[Image: smith-premiere-after-earth-05.jpg]

The Afro of a young Michael Jackson:

[Image: 3671516432_804f0cfa99.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Gonna post sum pictures of afros too.

Some soccer player with afro
Remember earring someone say about afros not being very sport friendly but this guy is having the time of his life with his 'fro Big Grin

[Image: Willian.jpg]

[Image: article-2403972-1B8047BC000005DC-493_306x423.jpg]

[Image: article-2403972-1B804AEC000005DC-646_634x417.jpg]

[Image: 336692_heroa.jpg]

Bruno Mars afro
Yeh thats right he got real kinky curly hair that boy Bruno Mars...

[Image: bruno-mars-super-bowl.jpg?w=640]

Usher afro for Sugar Ray Leonard movie

[Image: article-2479653-1911B90700000578-877_636x852.jpg]

[Image: article-2479653-1911FE2A00000578-470_640x401.jpg]

[Image: article-2479653-1912023E00000578-240_636x752.jpg]

Andrew bynum hair

[Image: and-bynum.jpg]

[Image: 103012_andrew-bynum_400.jpg]

Thulani Ngcobo
Some south african rapper this Thulani Ngcobo folk is. Looks like he got the afro for more to add to his style in a comic way than for aesthetics... dunno what to make of it tho fo' sure he got some big afro hair. His nickname is Pitch Black Afro... i ain't joking Confused

[Image: pba200-a6710f73c6bdcb7309aa203593e081991...s6-c30.jpg]

[Image: 422083_2945308.jpg]

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

[Image: 139_zolapitchblackafro1.jpg]

[Image: pitchblack_3+-+Copy.jpg]

[Image: pitch_black_afro_by_dust_n_shadow-d4dgvxi.jpg]
04-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Fellani

[Image: Marouane-Fellaini-away-kit.jpg]
04-30-2014, 10:20 AM
I saw this picture in the tread about dreadlocks which you can find in the link.

This picture if of Bob Marley afro, and also the afro of one of his sons Ziggy Marley! apparently that picture was from the start of when they started growing their dreadlocks including the dreadlocks of Ziggy Marley. But to get some kickass dreadlocks as a black folk you have to start with the fro first to get enough length.

[Image: Ziggy-and-bob-marley.jpg]
05-01-2014, 01:44 PM
(04-23-2014 04:58 PM)herehair Wrote:  Fellani

[Image: Marouane-Fellaini-away-kit.jpg]

You mean Fellaini? Smile aka Marouane Fellaini. Good player but I was surprised he went to Manchester United. Tough player but some times goes too crazy.

Marouane Fellaini is interesting case cause he has coiled curly hair, not kinky curly hair like with most afro hairstyles. If you see pictures of Fellaini with short hair, you can see that his hair is not the classic kinky hair with super curved kinks.

The problem with Fellaini is what Rogelio in The Curly Hair Book explains so well as the 'dead rat' syndrome where a guy doesn't look after his curls. If Fellaini took better care of his coils his afro would look much better.
But anyway here is a picture of Fellaini with short hair. You can see his hair is more of the coiled curly hair type.

[Image: FgjYlXO.jpg]

Now here are some more pictures of Marouane Fellaini afro hair. You can see many times the coils look so dry and bad...

[Image: 694px-Marouane_Fellaini_vs_USA.jpg]

[Image: 330px-Fellaini_v_Cardiff.jpg]

[Image: 372px-Marouane_Fellani_vs_USA.jpg]

[Image: BYFzeBOCEAAV5AX.jpg]

[Image: Marouane+Fellaini+Profile+FILE+Marouane+...vuo9Wl.jpg]

[Image: 21577.jpg]

[Image: Fellaini_2674322b.jpg]

[Image: wpid-marouane-fellaini-pre-season_2977667.jpg]

[Image: fellaini.jpg]

Huh almost forgot to mention that Marouane Fellaini has a brother & Marouane Fellaini's brother has the same afro hairstyle! Big Grin it looks like a wig but they both have the same afro & curly hair type Big Grin

[Image: article-0-14BE0385000005DC-79_634x441.jpg]

[Image: A1iUTXGCIAAfT3y.jpg:large]

[Image: article-0-14BEA0D0000005DC-624_634x548.jpg]

05-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Morgan Freeman Afro

While Morgan Freeman has kept his kinky curly hair very short in his later years, he certainly used to rock an Afro like a boss! In his twenties and thirties, Morgan Freeman rocked a big Afro and gradually cut its length as he got older. Pictures below!

[Image: s77gGKH.jpg]

[Image: tvdup.jpg?1]

[Image: 0.jpg]

[Image: morgan_freeman_sm_02.jpg]

[Image: z2Uq35a.jpg]

[Image: article-2129065-1292A2C7000005DC-495_468x679.jpg]

05-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Afro hair

Here is the Afro of Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, a French tennis player. The pictures below are before Jo-Wilfried Tsonga decided to get his curly mane into military haircuts and the range of short cuts that this type of haircuts offer.

[Image: jo-wilfried-tsonga-001.jpg]

[Image: tokyo-jo-wilfried-tsonga-japan-open-trophy.jpg]

[Image: Rakuten+Open+2009+Day+6+B2_hglrmTamm.jpg]

[Image: jo-wilfried-tsonga.jpg]

07-05-2014, 06:59 AM
Axel Witsel
Axel Witsel is a football player from Belgium. He wears an epic afro most of the time so here are some pictures of Axel Witsel's afro hairstyle. biracial kid, btw.

[Image: axel-witsel.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m7u6e5ydwk1roq5u4o1_500.jpg]

[Image: 622639478.jpg]

[Image: Axel_Witsel_Belgium.jpg]

[Image: news.58112.545x410.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mebj28YGYI1rvyduyo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_me5zx75wtp1rvyduyo1_500.jpg]
07-05-2014, 01:11 PM
What are some good shampoo and conditioner products for Black men with buzz cuts? I don't have an afro at the moment.
07-05-2014, 01:53 PM
(07-05-2014 01:11 PM)Stylish Brotha Wrote:  What are some good shampoo and conditioner products for Black men with buzz cuts? I don't have an afro at the moment.

Now would be an excellent time for you to play around with sulfate free shampoos. Sulfate-free shampoos are less harsh on the scalp so they don't have the risk of scalp irritation that regular shampoos have. However, the risk is very small and is only noticeable in people who are prone to skin irritation. There are also lots of different types of shampoos, and, as a black male, you want to be getting a shampoo that keeps your curls moisturized and doesn't detract from that.

The issue with sulfate free shampoos is that they are less powerful in their cleaning than the regular shampoos. Some of the sulfate-free shampoos I have tested are absolute junk and I'm talking about some shampoos that are being peddled everywhere.

Anyway, for a guy, using a sulfate-free shampoo is a bit of a guess, but the good thing is that since you have very short hair, you can get a sulfate-free shampoo and see if you're happy with its cleaning action and how it leaves your scalp. Then, you can continue using the sulfate-free shampoo as your curls grow (or if you decide to stay with a short haircut or buzz cut style). An advantage of using a sulfate-free shampoo is that it will allow you to get more bang for your buck when it comes to sebum optimization. I saw that you got yourself The Curly Hair Book and The Men's Hair Book which are both excellent books, and with those books you will learn how to use your own sebum to improve your hair a lot!

A good sulfate-free shampoo to start with would be this shampoo here. Get it and use it once every 2 to 3 days or as you see it suits you by following the Perfect Mane routine in the books (you will learn the routine and templates to use).

With regards to a regular shampoo for black men with kinky curly hair, I would go with this other shampoo. So, if you can, buy both shampoos so that you can use one until it finishes and assess its effects. Then you use the other shampoo and assess its effects. Once you have tried both, you will be able to know which shampoo works best for you and from there onwards, you will have already solved one of the pieces of the puzzle. Worth a try if you can get both shampoos, and, if not, then get the sulfate-free shampoo for now Smile

11-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Reggie Watts afro.
Reggie Watts afro hairstyle

The afro hair of Reggie Watts. It's quite frizzy and it's done on purpose. To make the tight curls in kinky curly hair frizzy, simply use a brush and brush through the curls. That will give the tumbleweed shape like in the case of Reggie Watts hair.

Reggie Watts hairstyle is in tone with his comedian career since it gives him a very casual look, similar to Redfoo of LMFAO. Reggie Watts beard also suffers the same fate as his hair, being frizzy and unkempt. As natural as it gets LOL

[Image: tumblr_m5biifl2HF1qzlwdu.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_inline_mkwxrro7TJ1qz4rgp.png]

[Image: tumblr_m6retpSAtj1qzo0d2o1_500.jpg]

[Image: shot_3_2734_x.jpg?w=600&h=400]

[Image: Reggie+Watts+2010+GQ+Men+Year+Party+pCPYf4sYl2Dl.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m5ilgr2FNR1qdivgo.png]

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Snoop Dogg dreadlocks hairstyle pictures aka Snoop Lion Freddie 2 5,708 08-03-2015 05:54 AM
Last Post: BillyTheMan
  Tips for Natural Hair Men on Styling, Hair Care and Haircuts Sunset 1 1,656 07-01-2015 10:13 AM
Last Post: Freddie
  Natural hairstyle name of this type of braids for men? Africa 2 2,334 07-01-2015 09:40 AM
Last Post: Sunset
  New guy On here kinky afro Dragonflame476 0 900 06-22-2015 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dragonflame476