Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on how to shave undercut hairstyle?
03-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Thumbs Up Advice on how to shave undercut hairstyle?
Hello! Can any barber or expert advise on how to shave the undercut hairstyle? Do I use the razor like I am shaving my face or is it better to use the hair clipper without the length attachment for a bald undercut hairstyle?

Another question is how much time can pass between shaving the undercut? Does it grow like facial hair so the under cut needs to be shaved daily?

Thank you and greetings from Spain! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2015, 07:10 AM
RE: Advice on how to shave undercut hairstyle?
I would say that you would shave the undercut just like you shave your face. In the past I have shaved my head with a razor and it wasn't a problem. I have never shaved my hair like an undercut and according to the forum the haircut name is the undershave which is explained in the link. I even posted in that thread as I had never heard of the undershave.

Take into account that a razor can only shave up to a particular hair length. So if you have anything that is higher than a number two hair clipper length, then I would suggest that you first use a hair clipper with no guard attached so you buzz your hair to a zero. After that you can then use the razor for the undercut shave.

Use a safety razor to shave the undercut instead of a straight razor. You're going to be looking into the mirror at different angles so the safety razor is way safer to use to shave the sides and back of the head.
03-03-2015, 01:31 PM
My advice on shaving the Undershave hairstyle.
Jaime, you would shave the Undercut just like you'd shave your face, or, if you've shaved your head, then the experience of shaving an Undercut is pretty much the same.

Stevens above is correct, the term for an Undercut where the sides and back of the head are shaved (not clipped) is an Undershave. This particular haircut is not as popular as the regular Undercut, mainly because shaving an Undercut takes longer than clipping an Undercut and also because the Undershave tends to leave too-sharp ridges through the disconnected haircut.

My advice is that, if you're going to be trying the Undershave, to first go through the sides and back of your head (the ones you plan to shave) with a hair clipper. Buzz these areas with the hair clipper with either a #0 or a #1 hair clipper length. Anything longer than either of those 2 hair clipper lengths can give you problems when you're shaving the sides and back if your razor isn't very sharp.

About the razor: yes, you should be using a safety razor for the Undershave. Do not attempt to shave the sides and back of your head with a straight razor, unless you are very experienced with an straight razor, and even then you're still taking necessary risks. Bear in mind that the sides and back of the head have a higher hair density than facial hair, which means that you're going to need a very sharp razor and a few of them. Try to avoid disposable razors if possible for the Undershave and try to use multiple-blade razors.

Lastly, use plenty of shaving cream and leave it on your hair for a couple of minutes prior to starting to shave the Undershave. Since the sides and back of the head have such a high hair density, you want to make sure that you'll be going in with the area well lubricated and moisturized.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut hairstyle with longer sides to stop Asian hair from sticking out? pt3407 0 51 12-07-2016 05:52 AM
Last Post: pt3407
  New Hairstyle ideas Snoopfrancis 1 72 12-06-2016 07:28 PM
Last Post: Snoopfrancis
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 115 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Need Some Advice Camden 0 72 11-25-2016 06:15 PM
Last Post: Camden