Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on a new hairstyle and haircut for college guy?
07-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Advice on a new hairstyle and haircut for college guy?
I'm going off to college soon and realized it's probably a good idea to change up the "old fashioned" hairstyle (if you can really even call it that) that I've had for the past eight or so years.

Here's a picture of what it looks like now:

[Image: wKMAkXp.jpg]

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2015, 09:44 AM
RE: Advice on a new hairstyle?
Looking for something short or mid length? You have a good length right now to try out a side part with good volume. Your haircut now, good length on the top and short on the sides, is actually fine for a lot of styles. My advice would be to start experimenting with some products and seeing where it goes. Feel it out, essentially. Then, print out a picture of a style you like and get a good cut from a reputable barber.
07-15-2015, 03:50 PM
My hair is normally thinner, I can post a new picture when I get it cut

You say to experiment, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking for....I'm kinda hoping that I'll see something and love it
07-16-2015, 08:22 AM
Whoops, just realized I said thinner instead of shorter

I literally just got a haircut, but this is pretty close to how short I like it:

[Image: 1zjvkzD.jpg]

People have recommended "the Jason" and "the Matt". What do you all think?
07-16-2015, 08:55 AM
RE: Advice on a new hairstyle and haircut for college guy?
Hi mate I briefly saw what you posted and it's one the worst hairstyle 'guides' that I've seen. It's one of the reasons why you're supposed to ask for permission if linking to other sites as the mods here want to keep up the high quality of the forum and those rats websites have no place here or on the internet. I was just complaining about them on another post because as a barber, all those sites do is confuse our customers. Take it from me the advice there was just awful.

Any chance you could download the hairstyle pictures that you would like to get and then upload them to something like imgur.com?

When asking for hairstyle advice in the forum it is recommended that you give more info on what you want to get. What hair length you want or what is your hair type. I can see your hair type in the pic but what sort of length do you want to have for your new hairstyle? Longer or shorter?

You can find thousands of hairstyle pics in this forum by just browsing the hairstyle guides. A good starting place is the hairstyles section here which has a lot of guides on trendy hairstyles and haircuts.

I take it that a mod upgraded your account since you could post a link and images so if you could download the hairstyle pictures you want to use then that would help to get an idea of what you want. Don't use those stupid names made up by whichever geezer wrote that awful guide, just post the pictures and you will get the real hairstyle names and instructions.
07-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Sorry about that! These two are the ones others suggested:

[Image: L0O1iDq.jpg]

[Image: aU8uMna.jpg]

I'd probably go without something very slightly longer than what I have now, as I usually get my hair cut short to let it grow out a bit. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of the way I look and I'm hoping something new will help that a bit, so I'm open to any suggestions.
07-17-2015, 08:36 AM
The top one looks like a taper cut with some volume and the bottom looks like a quiff/ivy league. A good quality wax or gel should be able to give the desired effect and hold. I'd advise looking up the haircut guides on The Men's Hair Forum for the taper cut and the quiff and then weighing the pros and cons. Decide which cut you like better. Then, invest in a product and try to imitate your chosen style. It's important to remember that with one hair cut (As long as it's not too short) you can style it in a plethora of different ways and it's going to be up to you to experiment with different styling techniques to figure out how best to get a certain style. No matter what, due to differing facial structure and hair types you'll likely never be able to exactly imitate a style so in my opinion it's best to only use pictures of models and such as a guideline to help you find something that works.
07-17-2015, 02:07 PM
I think I like the top one more than the bottom, so that's a start.

I tried searching for the guide for the taper cut on here but I didn't find anything, though
07-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Here's one from the forum:

http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...Part-Style

And here's one from the writer of the Men's Hair Book:

http://www.menshairblog.com/classic-hair...yle-guide/

Note that the taper cut is basically the most basic cut there is. You basically have one now, from the looks of it. It's possible to side part with a highly visible part, subtle part and do all sorts of other styles and the length at the top and sides can vary greatly. These two guides just give you the basic lowdown for a taper cut.

(Mod's, my post count is low but I know that these are reliable and good sources for hair information and I'm sure you'll agree)
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut hairstyle with longer sides to stop Asian hair from sticking out? pt3407 0 48 12-07-2016 05:52 AM
Last Post: pt3407
  New Hairstyle ideas Snoopfrancis 1 69 12-06-2016 07:28 PM
Last Post: Snoopfrancis
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 114 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Need Some Advice Camden 0 72 11-25-2016 06:15 PM
Last Post: Camden