Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on a new hairstyle? 18 y/o male?
03-25-2014, 05:14 PM
Advice on a new hairstyle? 18 y/o male?
Hi there,

I just turned 18 and wanted a new hairstyle... I don't have a clue what to ask for in the barbers though. Usually when I go in I just ask for a trim and for it not to be too short. I've never used the number system!

Excuse the photos, I'm not very good looking & I was in my school uniform (it looks odd doesn't it!)

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could get? I don't know but would a number 6 on back and sides and a scissor cut on top look good? I just presume that this wouldn't leave it too short and I could add a bit of style. Does anyone have any pictures of what a 6 back and sides and scissor cut on top would look like, sorry I'm clueless.

I last got it cut on 8 March and probably will plan to get it cut monthly

Many thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2014, 06:52 PM
RE: Advice on a new hairstyle? 18 y/o male?
James, the good news is that you have versatile hair. What that means is that you can pretty much pull anything you want (bearing in mind time spans for hair to reach enough length).

Do you have any ideas what styles you like? You are a young man so your personality and style are still evolving, but do you feel you want to convey something with your appearance?

I would see you with a medium length modern slick with a taper cut in the likes of David Beckham's latest modern slicked back hair. You could easily achieve that hairstyle in 4 months. Not too sure about an Undercut though since you seem to have an upside down triangle face shape which is not very suitable for an Undercut, although the face shape could be the angle of the camera. If you have a better frontal picture (no angle, looking to the front), then post it as that would help better.

For reference, the pictures below show how David Beckham's modern slicked back hair looks. A plus is that you have his same hair type, density and seem to have a similar upper and middle part of the face. Only issue is your hair is short, so you'd need a minimum of 4 months to hit the optimal length, but that should not be much of an issue as find the right hairstyle and hair aesthetics of oneself is a testing and trialing game, after all.

[Image: RPjHC9q.jpg]

[Image: DInNpHe.jpg]

[Image: STSo79E.jpg]

You can see all the hairstyle pictures and commentaries in the actual David Beckham's slicked back hair discussion. For what is worth, the pictures are from David Beckham's latest H&M commercial (click the link to see its forum thread with the video of the commercial and get to see 3d perspective of Beckham's hairstyle).

Get back to us with a little bit more of an idea of what you'd like (personality, style inspiration, image projection) so that we can help you better as well as try to include a better frontal picture if possible. Also, make sure to read the guides I posted in your introduction thread and also browse the celebrity hairstyles guides and see if you identify with any hairstyle of any popular dude like Gareth Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo, Justin Timberlake, Zayn Malik, Justin Bieber, Fabio Coentrao and the many more popular dudes we have covered in guides in that forum section Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-27-2014, 12:52 PM
I agree dude we would need better pictures especially the expert barbers of the forum. Not easy recommending the best hairstyle for you without some background of yours.
Agreed on what TMHF said above tho... growing your air to medium length and slicking it back could look really good if you manage to wait the time for your hair to grow longer.
03-29-2014, 01:49 AM
You have a babyface if you dont me saying, the David Beckham slick back hairstyle would suit you, I would recommend going for a "young" hairstyle, I could see you with a fauxhawk or a side parting (with style something like Marco Reus does) only thing I would recommend is not to do any middle partings or side parting that are straight

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 102 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Help identify my hair for a new hairstyle gabriel777 2 170 10-18-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: gabriel777
  Long hair side shaved grow to man bun hairstyle or top knot? darkguy2 3 191 10-17-2016 08:44 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Frohawk hairstyle and haircut: How to, Pictures TheMensHairForum 10 20,535 10-10-2016 08:45 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum