Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About dreadlocks and straight hair. Ok with job interviews?
10-26-2014, 11:27 AM
About dreadlocks and straight hair. Ok with job interviews?
I'd like to inform myself on the topic as a friend wants to get them, can you tell me about dreadlocks and if dreadlocks can be done on straight hair?

It's plain obvious that dreadlocks are fine on straight hair as I see many white kids with dreadlocks. What I am not sure is how possible this is and if there are any precautions to take. FYI this friend of mine is 33 years old and looking for work as he was made redundant from his last company. He is doing job interviews and he is unsure if the dreadlocks will affect his job interviews and job prospects.
Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2014, 01:02 PM
RE: About dreadlocks and straight hair. Ok with job interviews?
A lot of people these days don't realize that dreadlocks are an option for them, whether it's an issue of hair type, hygiene, employment or fashion.

Dreadlocks have changed a lot in the past few years, they've seen a sort of renaissance. Dedicated companies are offering dreadlocking solutions for everybody. It isn't uncommon to see an asian sporting a head full of dreads, or a white guy with big thick locks.

First off, I think it's important to clear up exactly what a dreadlock is. Not in the sense of what "dreadlocks" are, or what they represent, but the actual composition and structure of a dreadlock. Locking occurs naturally in certain ethnic hair types where the hair is nappy and kinky enough to actually twist itself into knots. Dreadlocks, however, are NOT twists of any kind, but actually a fine network of knots all bunched up so tight as to give the impression of being one inseparable mass. the most literal definition of a dreadlock would be a mass of Felted hair, it really is just hair that has been knotted and rolled out smooth so that it's soft and felty.

Because of the traditional way in which dreadlocks are made, there seems to be a common belief that they're "dirty". Wait, Let's talk about the "traditional" way. Dreadlocks, in their most recognizable form, began in Jamaica as a form of protest against straight hair. They resulted from the practice of simply neglecting to comb or brush the hair. Because of the ethnic hair type of most Jamaicans, this neglect led to groups of clumped hair forming together and growing into locks. This sort of neglect probably did lead to some very dirty hair, but not because it was dreadlocked. In non-ethnic hair types, however, the hair has no natural affinity for this sort of configuration.

Straight hair won't tangle if neglected, at least not into nice manageable locks, if it does tangle at all, it'll become one big rat's nest, so there's no neglect involved when making dreadlocks in Straight hair, in fact, it's the complete opposite. Straight hair has to be kept completely clean and residue free for dreadlocks to form, for example, does a slipknot stay better in a piece of muddy slippery rope, or a piece of clean, dry rope?

Now, before we get any further, we should talk about how to actually make dreads in straight hair. First the hair should be "prepped" for a couple days, washed only with residue free shampoos so that it's completely dry and clean. When it comes time to make the locks, the hair is sectioned off with rubber bands. Then, each section is combed backwards with a strong fine tooth comb in a fashion similar to "ratting". This creates the first knots in the dreadlock, and after the entire head is done, the locks will look fairly mature already.

The next step is to hold the roots and ends tight with rubber bands for a few weeks, to make sure that they do get knotted tight and don't pull the rest of the dread loose. They should be washed every few days carefully to avoid pulling them loose. Now some of you just went, "wait, every few days?" yes. Every few days. This is the best way to make sure your dreads stay clean, because if you wash them every night, they may never dry properly (dreadlocks soak up moisture) and they could start to basically mildew... this is rare, and easily avoided simply by making sure the dreads are properly dried after bathing. That isn't to say you shouldn't shower everyday, for goodness sake, just wear a shower cap!

Another thing that keeps people from making their dreadlocks dream come true is employment. Unfortunately, there is still a bit of a social stigma surrounding dreadlocks. People often associate big, thick locks with poor hygiene and sometimes even drug use. Although, most employers will look past your hair if you wow them with a good interview, as long as your interviewer is a good judge of character, it won't be an issue.

As long as keeping an appearance of cleanliness in the workplace, dreadlocks can look professional if tied back into a ponytail, or in the event they're not long enough, just kept tight with minimal loose hairs. Things like this, which used to be called "alternative" looks, are finding their place in the office. Most employers these days are finding that if they don't hire people who look a little "different" they won't have a workforce. I know people who proudly sport a head of happy nappy locks and had no trouble finding a job in retail as sales associates or even manager-type jobs. So long as the locks are tied back or kept from being big in volume, your friend will in theory be fine Smile
10-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Aside from posting advice to help your friend, I'd like to also address in this post that some people really want dreadlocks, but they don't think it'll fit their style. The first problem with that is that you should be creating your style, don't let a "look" rule you. However, if it is really that important that your hair fits your style, don't worry, dreadlocks have a look for every fashion. Heavy metal bands have sported dreadlocks in every color, even bleached white, pop bands have had locked front men, and, if properly maintained, a head of dreads can look very sharp in a business suit. Thin little dreads with bleached tips have even found their way onto ads for Old Navy and Abercrombie.

Get creative and accessorize your dreadlocks with beads, visors, head wraps, dress them up. Your dreads are part of you, make them look just as punk, preppy, scene, etc, just as the rest of you.

So to wrap things up, dreadlocks are a clean and fashionable option for anybody who wants them, no matter what your hair type, job, or social niche. Tell your friend to enjoy his dreadlocks, they're sure to get him lots of good attention.
10-27-2014, 11:50 AM
Here are some extra dreadlocks tips. I posted them in another thread and posting them here will add even more value to the thread so it is of use to others.

If you've made the decision to wear dreadlocks, you probably need a solid plan for starting them. You might wonder if you should begin them yourself or have a professional start them for you, where to find such a professional, what products to use, and what to expect in the way of care and maintenance.

Here are my suggestions and tips on how to get dreadlocks.

Establish the size of your locks beforehand:

I can't stress the importance of this step enough. Overlook it, and you'll be stuck with locks that are too big or too small for your taste, with your only option being to cut them off and start all over again. I'd strongly suggest you look through magazines, pictures online, books in hair salons, and pick the dreadlock size that you really like. Consider that the smaller the lock, the more locks you'll have, and the more time that will be required in caring for and re-twisting your locks.

Then once you have your size established, bring a picture with this exact size to your loctician. Which leads me to my next suggestion.

Visit a loctician to start your locks:

You could, hypothetically, start your locks yourself, and many people do. But if you really want a neat, textured, uniform look to your locks, I'd suggest you visit a loctician, as achieving this yourself will be nearly impossible unless you are a wizard with hair and have multiple mirrors that allow you to view the back of your head with precision.

Show your loctician a picture of the size you want your locks. If possible, view pictures of the loctician's past work to make sure they are capable of creating the look you want.

In terms of finding a loctician, this can be done through word of mouth, the internet, the phone book, or any combination thereof. It may take a little work, but the time spent finding a loctician who obviously has experience starting and caring for locks will be well worth it in the end. When choosing a loctician, consider not only price, but what products they use and the quality of their previous work.

Choose a method that suits your texture and your schedule:

There are many ways to start dreadlocks. One involves not combing or fussing with the hair until it locks on its own. Another involves simply separating the hair into sections and forming twists with a comb. You can also start two-strand twists and let those evolve into locks by simply not undoing them. And you can do Sisterlocks, which add lock extensions to the hair - giving the appearance of locks -until your own hair begins to lock and the extensions are removed.

The method you choose really depends on the texture of your hair and how much time for maintenance your schedule permits. The coarser and more tightly coiled your hair is, the easier and quicker it will lock. Basic twists will probably lock quickly, whereas on someone with curly hair they will be likely to unravel without a strong binding product and frequent re-twisting to keep them in place.

I know cases where men with coarse, curly hair had their locticians start their locs with comb twists and beeswax, which in retrospect probably wasn't the best choice.

I think for less tightly coiled hair, two-strand twists are the ideal way to go, as this allows you a hairstyle that is easy to maintain while your locks form.

Choose products that suit your texture without causing build-up:

Everyone's hair texture is different (see this guide on hair types for more about mens hair types), and therefore each requires a product well-suited to it. When choosing products to aid in the locking process, you want something that s going to add shine and hold without causing tremendous buildup that will be difficult, if not impossible, to remove. Potential products range from lemon juice and hairdressing cream to beeswax. I would suggest finding a loctician that does not recommend beeswax, but instead a natural product that dissolves more easily. It may take more time for your hair to lock without an artificial substance to bind it together, but it will be worth it in terms of the end result.

Make sure you know how to care for your hair in between visits to the loctician:

This may require some self-study, or conversations with your loctician while they're twisting your hair, or maybe you already know instinctively. But you'll need to have the products and materials in place to care for your hair in between visits. That means shampoo, moisturizing and binding products, sprays and astringents, and possibly hair clips, headbands and scarves to style your hair in the transitional process.

You will need a good shampoo that cleanses the hair thoroughly without drying it out, a good binding/moisturizing product you can use to re-twist your hair with in between visits, and a spray or balm to refresh and moisturize your scalp and hair while adding shine.

You will also want clips to hold your twists down after you re-twist them, in addition to a blowdryer or hair dryer (unless you want to let your hair air-dry, a much longer process), cute headbands to hold your hair back while it's still in the beginning stages, and scarves as styling aids, and to sleep in at night. Scarves you sleep in should be made of silk, as this will cause minimal friction and flyaways to your dreadlocks.

As a side note, it is not necessary to visit a loctician if you're looking for a more free-form, less manicured look to your dreadlocks. In fact, many popular dreadlock wearers, including Bob Marley, formed their locks by simply not touching their hair or applying aloe vera (from the plant) and doing nothing else. While your hair will look more unruly during the forming process, it will leave less work for you and will ultimately bring you to the same destination.

But for those who want a neat a look as possible while locks are still forming, having a solid plan for starting locks in terms of size, method and maintenance will be a big help. Now get those dreadlocks forming!
10-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Dunno I'm all cool with dreadlocks but I have seen friends of mine with dreadlocks not get a job until they cut the damn thing. Both white and black guys so it wasn't some racial discrimination. They all found jobs as soon as they cut it. Then again they were applying for graduate jobs so I doubt dreadlocks go down fine at all in an office.
I would hold off getting dreadlocks if this friend of your wanting to get a good job. Even for jobs that are easy to get like at restaurants and bars, the dreadlocks can be seen as gross for manipulating foodstuffs and drinks. We can all write as much as we want of how hygienic dreadlocks actually are but the public perception is pretty bad imo
11-18-2014, 11:44 AM
I found this post which I posted in another thread about dreadlocks and jobs. I thought it would be useful to your friend's case as dreadlocks and other mens hairstyles can cause an issue with your job prospecting. Hairstyle discrimination perhaps?

Introduction:

Nowadays, dreadlocks are seen as a more acceptable hairstyle. As people start to realize that not all dreadlocks are dirty, messy, twisted hair in knots, but it is actually a lifestyle for those who choose to wear their hair in dreads. More and more people are being seen in television commercials and in major motion pictures that have dreadlocks, and even members of some popular bands sport the alternative hairdo.

However, the dreadlock fashion is not quite mainstream just yet - and as a result, many of those who have dreadlocks find it difficult to land a job. But there are options for those who are trying to get into the workforce, besides working at your local gas station or convenience store. You just have to look in the right places.

Farmhand / Ranch Hand:

If you live near a rural community, you may try seeking employment at some of the local farms or ranches. Because the work is often quite dirty, appearance doesn't matter - it's your performance that counts here. The pay and the hours may not be ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Stagehand:

For those of you dreadlocked individuals who live near an arena, stadium or performance theatre, you may try getting a job as a stagehand. Because you won't be working with the public very much, if at all, appearance doesn't usually matter at these places, either. And who knows where this may lead - there are plenty of great employment opportunities in sound production or stage design; you may even land that acting job that you've always dreamed of!

T-Shirt / Novelty Store:

Cities all over the country have specialty t-shirt, gift, and novelty stores - and many times they are more than willing to hire individuals who have dreadlocks. Because many of these stores often carry items that may be considered odd or counterculture, they are usually quite open-minded when it comes to their employees.

The Computer Industry:

If you are computer or technologically savvy, there are many options in this field for people with dreadlocks. Again, appearance comes in the computer industry to performance - as long as you can display your knowledge, and you have the appropriate degrees, you shouldn't have any major problems landing a job in any area of computers or technology.

There are many other options out there, too - you just may have to expand your horizons, and you may be forced to take some less than ideal jobs in order to get started. But once you are able to build a solid resume, you can begin seeking that exact job that you've always wanted; despite your dreadlocks.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Snoop Dogg dreadlocks hairstyle pictures aka Snoop Lion Freddie 2 5,681 08-03-2015 05:54 AM
Last Post: BillyTheMan
  What are some good jobs for men with dreadlocks? ElenaTheBarber 3 2,282 11-18-2014 06:57 PM
Last Post: Unshorn
  Dreadlocks and Locks for Men - Epic Pictures Jurgen 27 88,105 11-18-2014 03:06 PM
Last Post: Sunset
  How to get dreadlocks?? or how to start locking at least? AfroJay 3 2,273 11-18-2014 02:57 PM
Last Post: Sunset