Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
21 With A Receding Hairline - Does Long Hair Work?
06-19-2015, 05:03 PM
21 With A Receding Hairline - Does Long Hair Work?
So, to start off and get some things straight, I've always been extremely self conscious of myself. I don't need to bore any of you with my life story but I've never been the most sociable person and was always picked on for looking odd or acting different growing up. I feel that this pushed me to believe some things about myself such as feeling unattractive or feeling uncomfortable looking a certain way. That said, onto the issue.

I have a receding hairline and am now growing (hah) really conscious about it. I have to put my hair up during work, where the line is then extremely visible. I've been reading around and there seems to be an almost unanimous answer; just shave your head and deal with what's happened. Problem is, I can't stand short hair, let alone no hair at all. It may be that I have an extremely twisted look at myself, but I find comfort, for lack of a better word, in my longer hair.

So, this kind of prompted my question- can people pull off longer hair with a receding hairline? People all say to not cover it up or try to hide it, and I'd argue that I'm not hiding it but rather going for a particular hair style. Ever since I started growing my hair out (around 13/14 yrs old) I've always had the sides of my hair have a gap when I pushed my bangs over. I didn't think anything of it. The gaps are still there, only now I can see a decrease in the hairline.

I hope I haven't posted in the wrong topic or broken any rules, as I'm new to this forum and even though I've read them one can never be too sure.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2015, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2015 07:46 AM by Long Mane.)
RE: 21 With A Receding Hairline - Does Long Hair Work?
I think that long hair with a receding hairline is fine. I have long hair and a hairline that isn't the same as I had in my twenties so it's a bit receded but still holding up fine. I'm twice your age so I hope to keep my hair for many more years.

In my opinion it's when the hairline is so far back receded that it almost touches the crown. That's when you don't want to have long hair and you're best done with getting a buzz cut. By the looks of it you seem to have a good hairline with some receding only so I'm sure that long hair will look great on you.

One tip I will give you is to be extra careful with pulling your hair. There's this thing called traction alopecia which is terrible for those of us with a receding hairline. Traction alopecia acts by pulling the hair too hard to tie it, so go easy with the man buns and the top knots as these two hairstyles are very trendy. If you tie your hair then tie it loose and don't tie it tight.

For more information on the man bun hairstyle and the top knot hairstyle see these guides: It would be good if you could also post pictures of your hairline. As a new member you don't have this privilege but so far that I've been here the mods are always happy to give you that privilege even as a new member so that we can get a better idea of what your situation is. I don't know if you can message mods or admins as a new member to let them know that you'd like to post pics but I'll message one of them too. They patrol the forums daily so maybe just wait until they pick your thread up.

Pictures of your hairline will really tell us the full story.
07-05-2015, 10:38 AM
RE: 21 With A Receding Hairline - Does Long Hair Work?
If you have a receding hairline, I think long hair is just what you need. Because the long hair will hide the receding hairline. Secondly, no one will notice the hairline with long hair.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help. Not sure about the state of my hairline. Rivere 0 357 10-21-2016 01:51 PM
Last Post: Rivere
  Hair thickening fibers for balding - Do they work? HorseTears 1 143 10-11-2016 07:59 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Shocked 21 years old. I am going bald, having maturing hairline or just paranoic HardRocker995 0 1,170 09-22-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: HardRocker995
  Hair receding or maturing? Possible balding with receding hairline Relinquish 2 1,121 08-18-2016 01:17 AM
Last Post: Relinquish